FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Testing round 2.... 🙄

Popi3
Community Member

Hi all, so I had written a post before and unsure if it posted or I deleted it ? I have been reading posts from others and I happy to know I'm not alone , well we are not alone. I had a mega panic attack last year and since have been very anxious with a few full on attacks during the past months. I'm not sure is I have depression (or is that hand in hand with anxiety?) I have had high and low periods lately,where lows are numb feeling almost nothing is exciting or makes me laugh..I have to force it at times. My overthinking chatter worries and annoys me , this can be frustrating and exhausting at times. Most of all since my panic attack is that I'm scared to drive far or on busy roads . Any tips to overcome the driving anxiety ( my panic attack happened when driving, unsure why it happened) 

I have always been a confident go getter type person, untill now. Now I'm not so sure . 

4 Replies 4

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Popi3

welcome to the new forums and thanks for your first post. It can be  co fusing st times. 
panic attacks can be scary. Have you spoken to a doctor about your anxiety.

I am sure you are still confident just have a lot to think about. 

if you use the search engines yiu will find many topics on anxiety ot look through the anxiety section in the forums.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Popi3,

Wellcome to our forums.

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

Have you seeked help from a health professional about the way you are currently feeling? 

I'm sorry you experienced panic attacks I understand they are difficult to deal with.

I understand your scared to drive, I have a lived experience of severe anxiety OCD one of the things I learned about anxiety was that the more we do what our anxiety is telling us to do the more we reinforce it.

You are so much stronger than your anxiety and you can recover from it with the correct professional help.

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Popi3,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for reaching out and being here.

I did see that you'd made another post but it just had a dot in it so I've let the mods know so we can support you on this one.

That's a great question about it being depression or anxiety.  They certainly do go hand in hand don't they!  I have both, which is really not uncommon.  Your GP or mental health professional would be a good step to get some clarity.

As for driving anxiety, I agree with Petal22.  Maybe there's a way to get back in the car and drive but go a little slower?  Like sitting in your car for a while, or doing a quiet street- just so you can build your confidence and know that you've got this.

I have no doubt you're still a confident go getter type person!  You can do that and have anxiety too.  It's not an either or. 

rt

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome.

have you spoken with your GP about these thoughts and feelings? You could also look at a K10 test - there used to be one on the beyond blue web site and I am sure it is still there. That test was how I found my way here and was the beginning of my journey. 

In relation to depression and anxiety, they can go together. Otherwise, the easy way I like to think about it is that depression is thinking about the past, where anxiety is worry about the future. 

There are resources (books etc.) to help overcome overthinking. I think it helps to work out what works best for you as what works for me might not work for you. If you are interested in any of these please let me know.

Listening...