FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Newbies guide: 5 tips for getting the most out of the forums (UPDATED)

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey everyone,

Here’s 5 tips for new and old members alike to help you get the most out of your forum experience. 

1. A good title makes the difference

Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title.

2. Join in threads that have already been posted

We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing.  Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognise your name and feel they know you.

3. Choose the most appropriate section for your post

Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc.  Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you.  Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics.

4. Try and keep it short!

Sometimes the hardest thing to do. We have a forced 2,500 character limit on the submission form (about the size of one whole typed A4 page). Posts that go on for longer than one screen, where people have to scroll in order to read, run the risk of people skimming your post and not reading it. Break up your paragraphs as well - big blocks of text with no breaks are equally intimidating for others to read, as is txt language and abbreviations (It's like talking to someone in person and not taking breaths or pauses). Please don't try and cheat the limit by submitting multiple-part posts...it only creates more work for our moderators who have to clean the forum up. Forums are about dialogue, not monologue. You'll have plenty of time to tell your story if you're patient, stick around, and take the time to discuss, not broadcast! 😛 

5. Stick to one thread for support

When seeking support on the forums, we really encourage members to use one thread rather than starting new ones all the time.  It's really difficult for the community to keep up with your story if you have a lot of threads going at once, and you may find yourself having to repeat information if your story is spread across the forum - sometimes our members will be repeating themselves as well if it's an issue you've had previously.  Help us to support you by keeping to one thread, even if you're returning here after a period of time.  There's a lot of value in seeing how someone's story evolves over time, and when facing a new crisis it's helpful to scroll back and see how you've coped previously.

Please feel free to share your own tips below on how to get involved in the community and get the best out of your time online.

47 Replies 47

Pixie15
Community Member

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for these suggestions. I had a thought when I was reading them. In point (2) you suggest that there may be several posts going at the same time on very similar topics. Is can be very time consuming reading posts and may be useful to be able to have a way to link the posts that are similar.

Cheerio,

Grateful.

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Grateful,

I agree, unfortunately we don't have the ability to merge threads at the moment (hopefully in the future we will), so we have to rely on you good folk to point members in the right direction and encourage dialogue within threads. 🙂 

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Everyone,

The other tip that I would add here is:

Before starting a new thread try entering your topic of discussion or some key words into the Search Function (in the top right of the screen). This will enable you to find other threads related to your topic. It might be more worthwhile sharing your story in one of these existing threads. You can then chat with others who can relate to your experience, and provide you with support.

Happy posting:)

AGrace

AGrace
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi,

I wanted to refresh this post, but I also wanted to say it's incredible to see that so many of our new and existing members are now joining in discussions on various existing threads.

I think this is one of the first nights I have come onto the forums and I'm struggling to find a post that hasn't been responded to. It's comforting to know that the community is full of such compassionate and generous people. It seems even when we're struggling, we still want to reach out and support others:)

AGrace

Neil_1
Community Member

Dear Amber

(oh and dear everyone else as well)

Amber hit the nail on the head I reckon - with her line of:  "It seems even when we're struggling, we still want to reach out and support others".

I've thought this for a long time now and really believe it IS true.  People on this site are just fantastic, helpful, knowledgeable, and above all else, so supportive of others.

And along with Christopher from Beyond Blue who's creating such a great website for all of us to use and operate on, it IS really awesome to see (again as Amber points out) that there ARE so many others now who are chipping in with their own responses to other people.

The more people who do this, I believe the better success this site will have.  I've been apart of this site on and off for around 4 years now - and pretty consistent since last November.  And during this latest period, I've noticed how the site has really gone ahead with new innovations but also with the amount of people posting.

It's a wonderful community and I'll stop now for fear of you all nodding off at one of my extended looooooong posts.   Sorry about that;  I just get so excited in writing here.

Neil

Zoe__lt_3
Community Member

Well said everyone!

I'm relatively new to this site and I'm blown away by the numbers of helpful, caring people here in BB-Land (Can I move here?). It's fantastic to see so many people sharing their stories, helping others with simple words of comfort or support and I'm amazed at how much it helps me on my bad days. Without this forum, I'm not sure how I might've coped in the past few weeks. It's really helped me re-focus and at the same time, I can share my experiences in helping others, or just giving virtual hugs.

Keep up the AWESOME work, peeps!

Zoe x

LouisaB
Community Member

I'm new here too. Thanks Christopher for your helpful advice. I will keep it in mind when I work my way around the posts.  I will share my story too and maybe it will resonate a bit with others. I am cheered by the positive vibes so far and pleased I decided to join up. 

LouisaB

Mares73
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Dear new friends, to each of you have put a message here about being new to the forums & sharing some of your experience-can I suggest that (unless you feel your story similar to anothers & want to add to it) that you start your own "page" called a "thread" which you can find by clicking on "new thread" on the right hand side of the page "depressuon";or other relevant forum. That way you have your own dedicated place to share your story & you will find many others will respond to you & share similar experiences. You have shown great courage in reaching out to Beyond Blue & my suggestion is put forward so that each of you have a place to share your own story & then I in turn others with similar feelings or experiences will reply & reach out to you.  I hope that's a helpful suggestion. Love Mares xx

mj74
Community Member
Hi guys, was wondering how you find a post you have put up? Cheers