FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Newbies guide: 5 tips for getting the most out of the forums (UPDATED)

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey everyone,

Here’s 5 tips for new and old members alike to help you get the most out of your forum experience. 

1. A good title makes the difference

Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title.

2. Join in threads that have already been posted

We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing.  Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognise your name and feel they know you.

3. Choose the most appropriate section for your post

Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc.  Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you.  Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics.

4. Try and keep it short!

Sometimes the hardest thing to do. We have a forced 2,500 character limit on the submission form (about the size of one whole typed A4 page). Posts that go on for longer than one screen, where people have to scroll in order to read, run the risk of people skimming your post and not reading it. Break up your paragraphs as well - big blocks of text with no breaks are equally intimidating for others to read, as is txt language and abbreviations (It's like talking to someone in person and not taking breaths or pauses). Please don't try and cheat the limit by submitting multiple-part posts...it only creates more work for our moderators who have to clean the forum up. Forums are about dialogue, not monologue. You'll have plenty of time to tell your story if you're patient, stick around, and take the time to discuss, not broadcast! 😛 

5. Stick to one thread for support

When seeking support on the forums, we really encourage members to use one thread rather than starting new ones all the time.  It's really difficult for the community to keep up with your story if you have a lot of threads going at once, and you may find yourself having to repeat information if your story is spread across the forum - sometimes our members will be repeating themselves as well if it's an issue you've had previously.  Help us to support you by keeping to one thread, even if you're returning here after a period of time.  There's a lot of value in seeing how someone's story evolves over time, and when facing a new crisis it's helpful to scroll back and see how you've coped previously.

Please feel free to share your own tips below on how to get involved in the community and get the best out of your time online.

47 Replies 47

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi mj74, you can use the 'My posts' tab at the top of the screen to access all the threads you have either started or posted in.

Taz2u
Community Member

Hi AGrace,

I'm new and posted once to introduce myself and also in the Depression forum. My posts have been visited , but I have had no reply yet. I could really do with some support. Thanks, 

Taz

Pixie15
Community Member

Hi Taz2u,

Welcome to the forum. You may have replies that have not been posted yet because the forum is moderated.

If you need more immediate support you might like to try the chat.

Grateful.

Taz2u
Community Member
Thank you Grateful. I found a reply today and will continue reaching out.Cheers, Taz

Trish_M
Community Member

Hi all,

I found the Beyondblue Forums in March of this year. I was very low after suffering a major depressive episode. Among other symptoms, my depression manifests itself in extreme tiredness but frustratingly coupled with waking at around 3:00 in the morning and being unable to disengage my negative mind to return to sleep.

Amongst all the darkness and negativity, there has always been a spark of hope or stubborness or resilience and persistence to survive. Somehow I remembered Beyondblue and jumped onto the computer, started exploring the site and I discovered the online forums.

The forums have been a revelation to me and the first step in a journey of recovery but a recovery at my own pace. When  can't sleep and strategies to try and get myself back to sleep don't work, I visit the forums. it is surprising how many times I have found that perfect thread that seems to have been written "just for me" I identify so often and no longer feel so alone. Often I think to myself "that is my story, I am just like that, maybe I'm not so different, if they've tried these things and improved, so can I"

The forums are a non threatening way to stay connected to other people when it's just too hard to do it in person. Depression is an exhausting condition, often misunderstood and still stigmatized despite more liberal community attitudes. The forums have been another tool for recovery for me, they've educated me, given me hope and they're available 24/7, whenever I have needed them. I am encouraged by replies, soothed by words of comfort and suggestions.

The online forums are a valuable resource, they're a solace, an educative tool, a connection and a way forward to helping me understand and accept my complex condition. They are my friend when I am not my own best friend. 

Trish M.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Trish, thanks for posting your comment, obviously now you are having trouble sleeping, and not being able to sleep is horrible.

I'm an early bird as I take a lot of medication that makes me want to sleep, so I go to bed early, am I lucky, well yes in some ways, but no, because I have no social life, but what sort of social life would I want, as I live alone, don't have anybody to go out with, so I stay at home with my little puppie.

It's great that there are many other posts which you can relate to, so I'm asking if any results have also helped you. L Geoff. x

Trish_M
Community Member

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for replying. For myself, simply reading about other's resilience gives and inspires me to keep trying and not to let this depression beat me. I have become more knowledgeable about the many facets of this complicated illness and therefore don't feel quite so alone. In addition, the hope I read about and some of the techniques others talk about give me new things to try. So far, I am finding that sometimes when I begin to spiral downwards, I am able to do an about face and struggle on. For me too, I have found it very helpful to set small but realistic goals each day and to develop a discipline about getting them done. Since joining the forums, initially just reading them but more recently sharing myself, the darker periods seem shorter and further apart. This is due to the Beyondblue forums but also medication which did take some time to get right and the help of a trusted psychologist.

Thanks again Geoff for replying and sharing of yourself.

Trish M.

Goanna
Community Member
Thanks Chris B!  Your post is the first post i have read on here.  Good tips.  I will keep them in mind.  Take care.

Banjofrog
Community Member
Thank you Chris very good advice/tips. I think I'll quietly follow for awhile just not ready to chat just yet 🙂

Hi,

I have read through some of the previous post when I manage to have a good cry and then compose myself I now have realized perhaps I have not posted in the correct thread. May I point out there is a little confusion on my part as a new user as on the previous page where New users/orientation post invites you to introduce yourself and then when clicking on the title it takes you into this sub-thread page with other titles listed. The above titled post seemed somewhat appropriate but I was a bit iffy to say hi and share here but when scrolling down I saw that others had also. So when a new user comes along to introduce themselves should we start a whole new blog? Or is there something I missed on the first post page.. I read the rules but may have missed this. Thank You for your patience and understanding, Petal