FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Lost

Doneandout
Community Member
Hi, this is my first post. I have been reading lots of other treads and feel that I have no reason to be depressed. I have supportive family and an amazing group of friends who are always there for me. I have a good job and a beautiful home. BUT I have completely lost myself. I feel i cant continue to put all this nothing s*&t on to my family and friends. Most days I feel so lost and alone. I wonder why do I let myself get so low. Why am I not stronger. I know this is something I need to fix myself - others cant do it for me, but I dont know how. The hole is so deep and I just keep digging it deeper, that I no longer can see the top. Top, bottom it doesnt seem to matter anymore.
2 Replies 2

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Doneandout

Hello and welcome to Beyond Blue.

First let me assure you that depression is no respecter of persons. No matter what your life circumstances, how much you have or don't have, your age or gender, you can become depressed. And getting over it is not a task for you alone. Yes it's true that must work at it, but not on your own. I think you would be amazed at how many seemingly strong people become depressed.

What you are describing is very familiar to most people here. At the risk of sounding flippant I will say, been there, done that, got the tee shirt. I really wish I had not been there. I too have a great family (children and grandchildren) and friends who are immensely supportive. I also need an antidepressant, which I have only recently resigned myself to, and a counsellor.

Do you need either of these? Well of course I don't know. I suggest you see your GP as soon as possible. That feeling of losing yourself is very hard to manage. It saps your energy, makes you walk around as though you are in a daze, and prevents rational thought. Rational thought in this case is that you did not let yourself get so low, you are stronger than you think, and getting well again is a joint effort between you, your GP, family and others your GP may want to add.

So, putting on my grandma cap, go and see your GP and have a good chat. Book a long appointment as this cannot be dealt with in 15 minutes. I hope you will do this soon and that you will return to BB and tell us more about yourself, but only as much as you wish.

Mary

Grace888
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Dear Doneandout

I agree with Mary about seeing the GP. She's spot on about booking a long appointment. This is the best first step you can make towards finding yourself again.

In the meantime, be kind to yourself, and conserve what energy you can for things and people that make you feel good.

No one would expect you to 'fix' this by yourself any more than they would expect you to be able to 'fix' a broken leg.

Depression can be extremely tiring and confusing. How you are feeling just now, therefore, is not unusual, and not something to blame or criticise yourself for. Many good people have traveled this road before you and will afterwards. You are not alone and I know you are strong enough to get through this.

I hope today has been a better day for you so far.

Thinking of you

Grace888