FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Let me entertain you

Scotchfinger
Community Member

Sorry just tried to think of an interesting thread title.  🙂

I'm late fiftees, married no kids. I quit a full-time job in 2014, and haven't really recovered since. Two or three part-time jobs since didn't work out either.

Two words come to mind. Shame and guilt. I wasn't retrenched so I have no excuse. I don't deserve anyone's pity, I know I got myself into this mess. Thing is I'm getting too old and unemployable. And I don't tolerate workplace characters like I used to. people tend to get on my nerves easily these days. Old and grumpy 🙂  I don't think I can take someone micro-managing me anymore, telling me what to do.

I start to think I'm a failure in life at this age. Bit late to be ambitious now. I live on my own savings as my partner works so I don't qualify for Centrelink payments. 2016 is an important year. Will I go up or further down? It is a big concern. Enthusiasm and hope, where are you? I need you now>

But I know some of you are worse off than me. That just makes me more

ashamed of my current situation.

thanks for reading

scotchfinger

24 Replies 24

Guest_1055
Community Member

Hey Scotchfinger

I love your chosen username, it reminds me of a biscuit. And you did entertain me with your name. And since I was in a teary mood just know, well you helped me to smile. So thank you...

I cannot offer your any advice or anything, I just wanted you to know how thankful I am for you..... So I am guessing you are not a failure if you can help a teary girl to smile.

Shelley xx

My favourite biscuit. !

Elizabeth CP
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi It is hard when you feel useless & can't see any way forward. I resigned a couple of months ago and sometimes wonder if I did the right thing-I'm 61. My advice is to think back to why you resigned. You must have had a good reason at the time. When you think that you should have done things differently remember you are human and hindsight is a wonderful thing. Cut yourself some slack. Feeling guilty and saying I should have done things different won't help. Think about what do you want to do now& in the future. Life is about more than just work. Questions to consider include: Do I need to earn money or can we manage on our savings now & after retirement age. If money is a real issue then focusing on looking for work even if it means putting up with less desirable work places is needed.  What other things do you want to do? Doing meaningful activities will help you feel better about yourself. Do things which you enjoy, things to maintain your health&/or fitness and consider volunteering in something which enables you to feel useful.  

As for being óld & unemployable I remember my dad retired at 59 because of ill health and often said afterwards that he didn't know how he ever had time to work because he was so busy doing things which mattered to him. In his case he did woodwork, house renovation, woodwork, cared for my mum, spent time with his grandkids. I imagine you have different talents & interests and maybe some talents & interests you have not discovered yet.

Good luck for the future & remember you are a worthwhile human being regardless of whether you are working or not and regardless of what you do..  

Hello Scotchfinger

They are one of my favourite biscuits also. Not sure if you need to work because of finances or boredom. Can't make any suggestions about finances but if it's boredom what about taking on a volunteering job? Sometimes this leads to paid work.

There are lots of people who are worse off than you but it's no reason to feel ashamed of yourself. Your situation is just that, yours. What others have or don't have is not your concern so stop beating yourself up about it. I can't fly to the moon but it's not a good enough reason to slash my wrists, so to speak.

By the way, I love your picture but I hope it's not the real you.

Stop wasting your energy on regret and consider all your options. Can you start your own business? e.g. lawn mowing/handyman/window cleaner etc. Being your own boss will save you from being micro managed. What about being a taxi driver?

Love to hear from you again.

Mary

thanks mary

ah, I do need an income and my super is negligible because I spent half my working life overseas.

I need to earn at least 40 000 a year to have a reasonable quality of life including travel.

Taxi driving? Oh god, there are so many awful jobs out there. I just couldn't stand rude customers.

Sorry about the suggestions. Perhaps I was being a bit flippant.I suppose the definition of a reasonable quality of life varies from person to person. Travel is not my thing but books are a different matter. I have expensive hobbies, at least they are expensive to me. I research my family history and spend heaps getting various bits of information.

I have no idea what I would do if I needed to return to the workforce. So I am forced to live on what I have.

For some reason I did not read Elizabeth's post last time but have just read it. I agree with every word.

Keep chatting.

Mary

Elizabeth

Thanks. You made some very good points and have got me thinking more rationally. For some reason I missed your post too.

I think I am afraid of getting to the point where I have to take anything and end up doing some godawful nightmare job, just to pay the bills. And there are plenty of those, I know.

If you saw my true resume, you'd be shocked by the number jobs I've had for short periods then quit.

I don't want to bore you with my whole story, suffice to say that I am originally a primary school teacher who  at age 30 decided to go and teach English in Asia. 15 years later I return to Oz and experience major reverse culture shock. The good outweighs the bad here. I mean relatively safe, beaches, green parks. My personality would be best described as an oversensitive loner. I don't roll with the punches that well, and that is what is exactly needed in most jobs. I can empathise well sometimes which made me think I might become a counsellor. Started a Masters but was discouraged by job prospects, cost of the course and one of the lecturers I didn't hit it off with.

Which returns me to entry level jobs. You know I actually enjoyed some cleaning jobs. Ones with low pressure and reasonable time frame. Not ones where you work in teams at 100 mils an hour. I worked full-time in community services for about 5 years until 2014. My particular job was good but I started having clashes with colleagues and got to the point I was dreading going to work. Plus the fact I was always on nightshift, always feeling lethargic and drowsy. that's why I left. I felt like a zombie.A grumpy old zombie who didn't want to work with anyone else in the end. (well mostly)

Not sure I've addresses all your points but thanks anyway.

Hi Scotchfinger,

You have led a very interesting life by the sound of it.  Where in Asia did you teach English?  I have travelled a bit to Asia, including Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, and a few others to a lesser degree.  If you stuck at it for 15 years, it must mean that you loved it?  Is your wife from Asia?

I like what Elizabeth has written, and I second her suggestion that you concentrate on why you quit your last full time job.  There must have been a reason.  And if so, what has changed since that you now regret that decision to quit?

I am 56 myself and have had a couple of job changes in the past 6 years.  6 years ago I had to resign from a job I really enjoyed because my husband decided he wanted to retire and move to a better climate.  We moved to a small town.  

I enrolled in a Volunteer Organisation, where I helped out at Aged Care Facilities several days a week while I was looking for work.  After about 6 months, and as a direct result of my volunteer work, I found a great job at a local independent school.  No I'm not a teacher!  I do clerical work, bookkeeping, reception, etc.  I managed to continue my voluntary work in aged care, because I enjoyed it.  

When the school closed 3 years later, I was again unemployed.  So I increased my voluntary work during the time I wasnt working.  I was lucky enough to find another job doing bookkeeping for a local business, and I was there for over 2 years.  My boss reached 65 and decided to retire thus selling the business in September this year.  Again I was unemployed.  I again increased  the time I was doing voluntary work at the aged care home. And this time the Voluntary Agency tsuggested that I apply for a job coming up locally for clerical and bookkeeping.  I was interviewed and got the job about 10 days ago, and commenced last week.  I was lucky.

So if my story is anything to go by, doing voluntary work is of benefit in finding suitable employment.  And even though I am again working, I still do my voluntary work.  At the moment I am visiting an old lady with no family in the Home on a weekly basis.  Usually they just want someone they can talk to, call a friend and, if they are able bodied, to take them out for a cuppa or an outing occasionally.  It is very rewarding.  

I note that you say that you have empathy, but can be a bit of a loner.  Aged care could be something you could consider.  

I hope you find something worthwhile and enjoyable for you real soon.

Sherie 

Sherie

You've got me thinking about this volunteer work. You sound like a model volunteer/employee though. Not sure I am.

One of the many jobs I've done included Aged Care/door to door /on the road domestic cleaning. Not much time for cuppa tea and chat though, which is what I would've liked. have tried to get back into similar jobs in Aged Care. No luck so far. Tried nursing homes for a while as a support worker until I realised I was expected to change diapers, give medication up to 4 times a day and check BSLs. Huge responsibility for low pay.

I think I mentioned already why I left my full-time job in 2014.