FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

New, about me - I'm coping

CopingSince2012
Community Member

Hi,

Thought I best introduce myself a little since I've started handing out my 2 cents worth 😄

I'm a mother, wife, workaholic in my 30's, diagnosed with depression since 2012, coping on AD. I hid my depression for years showing my happy face and can say that I started my decline in 2000.  My husband has anxiety, currently off meds. We've recently had our young son diagnosed with anxiety also and awaiting further prognosis on other issues with him.

2016 is going to be the year I exercise more and get healthy, for me and my son. When I reach this goal, then I might look at going off meds. Aswell as try to reduce the stigma of mental health. I'm working on telling my in-laws this year about our families struggles, wish me luck!

Hopefully I can help others in the forums, and you can help me when I need it too - win, win!

Take care of you!

6 Replies 6

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Coping,

Thank you for introducing yourself! I hope your young son can get the right treatment for his anxiety 🙂

It sounds as though you have great goals for this year. If and when you do decide to go off your meds, make sure you do so under the guidance of your doctor. This may sound obvious, but it's worth saying anyway. The dose will need to be weaned off gradually. Explaining the situation to your in-laws will likely make you closer, and then you can have a wider support network.

You have a great attitude, and are very welcome here on the forum! 😄

Best wishes,

SM

Guest_1055
Community Member

Hello CopingSince 2012

I just want to say hi, and give you a welcome hug.

Yes I too want to exercise and become healthier, but it is a challenge because there is so much junk and processed food around.  And sometimes I run to chocolate in hope it will make me feel better, but it doesn't really. Anyway do you have some sort of plan that you are hoping to follow?

That is so kind of you to offer your help here. 

With love Shelley xx

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Coping

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Thank you for telling us your story. It's a great strategy to get your body as healthy as possible before weaning off the ADs. The more physical resilience you have the better you will cope with the withdrawal. Very slowly is the way. I came off too quickly and had huge difficulties. So learn to cut up your pills into small bits. It's really worth the effort.

Thanks for offering to help others. We all need help at different times here so you are most welcome. I hope all goes well with your son also.

Mary

Thanks SM. Haven't gone into the treatments for my son as yet; just acknowledgment and observations and finding what helps him cope in what situations - but I suppose that is part of treatment.

My MIL has a health background from decades ago and is one to tell you what she thinks the best treatment is... This is more of the reason why they don't know, but yet my family does know.

Looking forward to more healthy chats xx

Thanks Shelley for the hug!

My wonderful husband bought me an exercise bike for my birthday and a Fitbit for Xmas! I know, how kind... But, I did ask for the bike. The Fitbit is great, it tracks my sleep and it shows my 'restless' times to so I know when I'm tired and usually depressed.

I know I need to start slow and just keep at it.

Bring on 2016 xx

Thanks Mary. Yep, I've discussed with my GP what to do, when I'm ready. Won't be for a little while yet, but I feel prepared. My little boy has a surgery this month which I know I won't get through without AD so I'm not rushing into things.

Thanks for the welcome! 🙂