FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Let me entertain you

Scotchfinger
Community Member

Sorry just tried to think of an interesting thread title.  🙂

I'm late fiftees, married no kids. I quit a full-time job in 2014, and haven't really recovered since. Two or three part-time jobs since didn't work out either.

Two words come to mind. Shame and guilt. I wasn't retrenched so I have no excuse. I don't deserve anyone's pity, I know I got myself into this mess. Thing is I'm getting too old and unemployable. And I don't tolerate workplace characters like I used to. people tend to get on my nerves easily these days. Old and grumpy 🙂  I don't think I can take someone micro-managing me anymore, telling me what to do.

I start to think I'm a failure in life at this age. Bit late to be ambitious now. I live on my own savings as my partner works so I don't qualify for Centrelink payments. 2016 is an important year. Will I go up or further down? It is a big concern. Enthusiasm and hope, where are you? I need you now>

But I know some of you are worse off than me. That just makes me more

ashamed of my current situation.

thanks for reading

scotchfinger

24 Replies 24

Oh god, you mean you can't get the pension, if your partner works?

I didn't know that.

I think some qualify, but we dont because between my husbands super and my earnings through working, it means we dont qualify for enough of the pension to make it worthwhile even applying for it.  Mind you, I'm not old enough for the aged pension yet!  But because my husband is a returned serviceman I would be entitled to a part Service Pension even now if it werent for the fact that I am working.  Everyone's circumstances are different of course.

a bit complex eh sherie

thanks anyway

Hi Scotchfinger.  I read somewhere that your profile photo is not of yourself.  I'm glad about that. Not because its a bad photo, as it appears to be a very distinguished looking gentleman. But for privacy reasons it may be best not to use a photo of yourself.  Although I note that a few people here do, and I find that quite surprising.

So who is the photo of then?  Perhaps I should recognise them - is it a famous actor or something?  And why did you chose this photo?  

Sherie 

I don't know. I just found it on the net. I love his facial expression.