FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I need a friend

berry-waffle
Community Member

I am a 24F international uni student. I've been dealing with anxiety for a few years now and was recently diagnosed with depression. I do have some friends, but I am unable to open up to anybody about it as I don't really know what it is that would help me. I feel very lonely. I have tried to step out and talk to people but it is always at a surface level and I find myself withdrawing very quickly. I tried therapy but I don't think I found the right counsellor to help me understand what's wrong with me. I am terrified of being left behind. I am very close to my family but they are far away in a different country. I have withdrawn from my friends back home too and now I am beyond the point of reconnecting with anybody. I feel miserable. I really need a friend and a tight long hug

4 Replies 4

Sienna_12
Community Member

i dont know if i can be any help as im like  in year 7 of high school but if it can work for you im free for you to talk to 

WishyBee
Community Member

Hi berry-waffle,

It must be hard to be so far away from your family. I remember being quite overwhelmed when I started uni and I struggled socially in the beginning. There were some social clubs when I attended University (which was along time ago). Does your university have any social clubs? Maybe if you try a social activity at your uni you can slowly make some friends at a comfortable pace. 
Feel free to continue your discussion if you feel like my replies will ease your loneliness.

Take care

WishyBee

dude i am always here to read your comments. I may be a tomboy and that but like i love listening to others with problems and helping them to fix theirs while I leave my mind filled to the brim with unsolved problems dating back to kindy. I just never find enough time to fix them, and i just don't wanna ...

be anymore, it's boring the same thing happens everyday wake up, shool, bus, people screaming at me to shut up and no one asked, finally recess where i dont eat anything, than maths, than lunch where et again i dont eat anything than bus home where this kindy kid has a crush on me.

Happylife
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello berry-waffle,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for reaching out.

I can totally understand how hard and challenging it can be to be so far away from your family. You should be very proud of yourself for taking this big step. It's very natural for anyone to feel homesick and have mixed emotions.

I am glad to hear you are close with your family. Please stay connected and keep in touch with your family back home through video calls etc. you will find comfort in the familiarity of their voices which will really help when you feel anxious.

If I may ask, does your Uni provide any resources such as counselling services, international student advisors or support groups? If yes, please reach out to them as they are trained to help students in adjusting to the new environment and they can give you guidance and coping strategies. Also, try and connect with other international students who share similar experiences like you as this can reduce feelings of loneliness.

I hope you feel better and start enjoying Uni life more. You are not alone in this, we are all here to help if you need...

Lots of hugs🫂😊

Take care

Happylife