FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hello, I'm new here.

JustAnYtka
Community Member

Heya! I'm Bee.

I decided to join the forum to get support, as I've been really struggling lately. I have been diagnosed with depression for around 3 years now but it recently hit much harder so I thought I could use the extra support. I'm excited to get to know you all :).

Hope you're all doing okay,

Bee

12 Replies 12

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Bee, and thanks for coming to the site.

Having this illness for 3 years is awful but people who have been through this themselves are able to offer support in a different way if they have experienced similar symptoms.

Even being able to walk up a flight of stairs can be a struggle when you are engrossed by this illness.

We are here to help you because we have been through this ourselves, maybe not only once but a few times, so we hope to hear from you.

Geoff.

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Bee

Welcome to the bb forum.

I’m very sorry that you’ve been dealing with depression for the past three years and that it’s recently increased in intensity.

I know it’s exhausting. Frustrating, too. Not to mention just plain old-fashioned hard. Hugs to you.

I’m really glad that you chose to reach out here. This is a safe non-judgmental space of support and kindness. Everyone here gets mental health and has lived experience of some kind. As for me, I’m a mum who cares for an adult child with a mental health condition.

Have you sought professional help to deal with your illness? No pressure to answer here but happy to talk more if you like.

Kind thoughts to you

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Bee

I too welcome you to the forum.

Geoff and Summer rose have given you helpful responses.

Depression is exhausting. Sometimes we can gain some insight into what helps and what doesn’t.

For me I found that writing down my thoughts in a journal helped me to discover more about myself and my feelings. I could see patterns in my behaviour that helped.

There are lots of threads on depression here so you may find sone you may like to browse.

we are listening .

Thank you so much, I'm feeling really welcomed. I have been on antidepressants since I was first diagnosed and see my psychologist regularly. I'm thrilled that you guys understand the stuggles

Bee

Hello Bee, are your AD's helping you and thanks for getting back to us.

Geoff.

Hello Bee

Good on you for having the courage to be a part of Beyond Blue 🙂

you are definitely not alone...The struggles are awful to go through yet with ongoing support from your GP/Psychologist the road to recovery will be a lot easier

The AD's can take time to 'kick in'....yet they are very effective used in conjunction with your choice of doctor. The meds have been a huge help with my own depression/anxiety health issues

Happy 2020 to you Bee!

my kind thoughts

Paul

Hi Bee

I think the path you have chosen, being medication and a psychologist, to deal with your depression is sound.

I’m wondering if you’ve been on the same medication and dose for the past three years? Perhaps it would pay to have a medication review. This is something you could discuss with your psychologist/GP.

I think it’s really important to look at what’s happening to you in the context of the pandemic. Our lives haven’t been the same for the past two years and the anxiety and uncertainty continues today and will continue for some time yet.

Everything is harder now. Many people with mental health conditions are finding their symptoms are now more acute. People who have never experienced mental health conditions are falling sick for the first time.

It’s really important to be kind to yourself and understand that given the external conditions at play, you’re doing an awesome job just to keep your head above water. Hang in there, lovely.

Kind thoughts to you

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Bee,

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums! I am glad you have taken the courage to seek support.

We are all here for you.

Stay safe and i am here to chat if you need me.

britishtvfan
Community Member
hey JustAnYtka, welcome. i like your profile picture.