FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Forums etiquette: give support to receive support

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. 

From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great.

It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist.  

To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support.

Being a good community member means:

• participating in different threads (not just your own),
  • replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and...
  • posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out.

You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.”

Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel.

Another good entry point is the social threads in the BB Social Zone. It's a great way to get to know other members and chat away from the heavier discussions.

For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post below and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

kittens

68 Replies 68

Hi DipsyDora

Thankyou heaps for your complimentary post that you find the forums 'comforting' It always a bonus when we receive feedback like yours Dora...Nice1

You are a caring person to have answered some posts already and its very much appreciated too

This is a management thread that doesnt get a lot of posts as its more of an informative thread....That aside you are more than welcome to post where ever you wish

Great to have you as part of the forum family Dora. Im Paul and its good to meet you 🙂

my kind thoughts

Caz56
Community Member
Hi I need to talk to parents who are going through stress withtheir child

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Caz56 and Welcome too!

You are very welcome to post your thread topic under this subject if you wish...you will have more replies being a title that is relevant to what you are going through. Its a copy and paste link yet it will redirect you to our family issues support page that will be a huge help. Its easy....just have a look and if you get stuck please call out 🙂

www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/relationship-and-family-issues

My kind thoughts

Paul

Hi DipsyDora and Caz, it's great to have you both on the site, you deserve our attention whenever you are able.

Geoff.

StevoP
Community Member
Yeah I agree you need to try and acknowledge other people as well. I'm not good at acknowledging others' suffering and pain mentally, but I do try and be a good person and acknowledge, think that they need to hear people aka myself in the case Im talking about say nice things to them. Even if it was just tonight wishing this girl a good Christmas and a good New Years celebration, as well as a good New Year it all counts and I have tried to show an interest in how things are going recently. With mixed emotions myself admittedly and I'm not sure she appreciates it but its the thought and doing it that counts again

Hi StevoP

Good on you for posting your thoughts as they are just as valid as mine or anyone else's!

By wishing someone a Happy Christmas and New Years you have showed some serious TLC towards others..Your heart is kind and thankyou for being a part of the forums too 🙂

I hope you and your family have a great Christmas and New Years too

my kind thoughts and thankyou again for posting with us 🙂

Paul

Msimok
Community Member
Brilliant post I'm only new although i am seeking help support information I would certainly like to give where I can.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Msimok

Welcome to forum. This is the place to get support and information and also to be able to help others.

You can post on other threads or start your own.

Welcome again

Quirky

Thank you for the warm welcome quirky

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi there,

I totally agree with everything said here! Also, if you are responding and reaching out to people, then taking time for self-care be to be really helpful too, and actually will improve the quality of the posts as well! Does anyone know of a self-care thread here? Especially for those who provide support on here?