FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Forums etiquette: give support to receive support

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone, particularly any new members who may be reading. 

From time to time, we get contacted by members who are unhappy that they haven’t received a lot of replies to their posts. Our community champions work very hard to make sure that all newbies are welcomed when they first post, and we understand that it’s a big step to post for the first time on a forum like this, especially if you aren’t feeling great.

It’s important to remember, though, that these forums are a community of real people, just like you, not a one-on-one support environment like going to see your psychologist.  

To get the best out of being here, one of the best tips we can offer is give support to receive support.

Being a good community member means:

• participating in different threads (not just your own),
  • replying to people who have taken the time to reply to you (even if it’s just to say thank you), and...
  • posting words of emotional support and encouragement when you see others who are hurting and reaching out.

You don’t have to feel obliged to solve the problems of others: that’s not what we’re here for. But you can offer empathy and what you’ve learned from your own life experiences, even if it’s just a line or two, eg. “I don't know what to say, but I want to give you my support and tell you I care about what is happening to you and hope life will get better soon.”

Try to develop an interest in the journeys of others here on the forums. You may be surprised at how good being an active, caring member here can make you feel.

Another good entry point is the social threads in the BB Social Zone. It's a great way to get to know other members and chat away from the heavier discussions.

For those of you who have had good experiences giving support here on the forums, please post below and let us know how it has helped you on your journey.

kittens

68 Replies 68

Paul
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Music_Freak.

I echo everything Kaz has said and would like to add that it might not feel like you have made a difference for someone because they may read your post and think "Yeah that really helps" but not say it. That's the nature of being on a peer support forum, you may not know how much of a positive impact you've had on someone but I bet you that you do more often than not!

Paul xx

Guest_08B8CB20
Community Member

Hi everyone who has offered there support kazzl MarkJt Croix and many others all your time and effort has been off great help and a sincerely hope you are all doing well i no i been up and down but without all off your stories and advise thing may very well have turn out different for me your all i my eyes some off the most empathetic beautiful people and you should all be very proud off what your doing for the community

Thanks once again life savers all of you

Best wishes

Thankyou so much regards jason

Ps will keep on posting here from now on goodnight all

Hi Grunt

Im hearing you loud and clear for me this is the only real support i have had and i more than likely owe my life to the people that have advised me and stuck buy me through my journey heads up for beyond blue

Will talk again Grunt

Best off luck my friend jacezz

Ps im about to nod off been an exhausting day good night

Hi geoff

Thanks mate for sharing your story with me i been doing things though a bit lately so was only repling to a couple of gentleman but your story had a profound effect on me and i hope you doing well i hope to get myself a computer soon which will make it easier for me to reply and give back to you wonderful peoplethe old Samsung j1 mini strains the eyes a bit wont be long buddy and i will get more involved in sharing some of the things with you that have helped me help yourself being one of them

Regards jason

Lesley_Ann
Community Member
Hello Paul, I like what you are saying here, I have not been on the forums for quite some time and your post here rings true. Helping others is regenerating. I decided to do volunteer work with a local community service after I had finished as a carer, but these forums and Beyond Blue actually helped me with my carer responsibilities which I think is also to know what you are doing in the helping mode and guiding someone to recovery. Until I read your post I did not put this together in that way. Its a lovely way to say it. Thanks.

Tita
Community Member
Lovely words, I feel the some, I hope I can help others but sometimes it's hard when I ether can't help myself, luckily I got my hubby and kids support, they are my rock.

OhmeOhmy
Community Member
I mostly just read the posts and find that the support offered by other people is uplifting. Sometimes I post to support others and then I don't need to post my own thread because helping someone else or just trying to has helped me to feel better. kindness is the cure

jaynedoe
Community Member
I've only been involved in the forum a few weeks. I find it so comforting. I always answer replies to me. I have started to read other people's stories to see if I can help them. It's a five and take thing. It's a great forum.

jaynedoe
Community Member
Sorry Chris B meant give and take . 😊

Glad to hear I', not the only one that likes the sound of my own voice 🙂