FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

vitamins and medication

Swok
Community Member

Hi, I'm new to the beyond blue forum.

However, I'm not new to anxiety/depression/hallucinations etc

I've been on the same medication for about twelve years (mentally healthy). However, I have been sick with the flue and decided to take some multivitamins to aid in my recovery. Has anyone experience drug interaction problems with vitamins? After taking the vitamins for about three days, I started to experience anxiety and bouts of surreal thought patterns similar to how I felt many years ago. It has been dreadful! 

After I stopped the vitamins, the symptoms disappeared. No more vitamins for me !!

3 Replies 3

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello Swok, I have heard that St Johns Wort interacts badly with some medications, so it would not surprise me if some vitamins did the same. The problem with a lot of those nion prescription medications from the chemist is that you have no guarantee of what is really in them. Alcohol often interacts badly as well, which is why i hardly ever drink.

Sparkles183
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Swok, 

welcome to beyond blue.

i think this is something you should talk to your GP about because as Jess said that some vitamins and other medication, may interact with your antidepressant and hopefully your GP will give you more information on what you can and can't take.

take care 

sparkles 

Frosty_34
Community Member

Hi Swok,

ive been on anti depressants for 4years and a daily vitamin for 11 years. I generally only get the flu once a year,which hangs around for a week or two. I found mixing the two no problems at all,however if i go a week without the multivitamin I get lazy,tired and run out of energy quickly.Im sluggish and eating habits turn to crap.so I always make sure I have my multivitamin nowdays!