FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Medication change scares me .

Beaser
Community Member
Hi this is my first post in this section. I just yesterday seen a new Dr as my old one is unavailable . He seemed quite good and interested in how i was. I have been on a certain medication for a few years ... He decided to up my dose which scares me. I have a friend who was on the same medication but she found it terrible and switched to another which she found really good . Im just so scared that this may not be the right thing for me. Ive decided to take his advice and try the higher dose but im just scared after what my friend went through . This is really scaring me and what if it sends me backwards . Brett ,
12 Replies 12

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Brett, I'm pleased you have seen another doctor for various reasons, but what your friend has had to go through doesn't mean you will have the same effects.

Your body is completely different to theirs so you can never presume what happened to them will happen to you.

Unfortunately, that's what people presume but nothing may happen, except that it may benefit you, so please don't worry about any of this until you take it.

Geoff.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Beaser,

I can understand how frightening it is to change the medication you've been used to, especially because you know someone who has had a bad experience with the same medicine.

Given you think this new doctor seems interested in how your going, if you are going to see him again, do you think you can talk more about how you feel about changing the dose of the medication, & why he thinks the dose should be raised? Was the dose you have been taking not having the same beneficial effect anymore? I wonder if that's why he suggested a change to a higher dose.

What about your usual Doctor? Are you comfortable with them, & if so, how soon would you be able to talk to them?

Do you recall if you felt any odd side-effects for a little while after you first began taking this medication? You might feel something like that again, just for a while.

You can keep notes about what you experience, to let your usual Doctor know, or the new one, (if you think you'll continue seeing him).

The problem your friend had may be an unusual problem, so may be very unlikely to happen to you. Are you able to mention how the idea of having such a reaction is causing you to feel so afraid?

Where you get the prescription filled, the pharmacist can also talk to you about possible side-effects or adverse reactions. Just bear in mind, they're mostly extremely rare.

All the best,

mmMekitty

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Beaser,

It's definitely understandable why you're worried about increasing your dosage. As mmMekitty has mentioned above, discussing the possible side effects or other concerns you have with your doctor is a great idea. Your doctor is well-informed about the medication and should be able to answer all your questions. I think having your questions answered can help alleviate some of the fear of the unknown.

Your friend having a bad experience does not mean you will too and if you aren't having a good experience, switching to a different option should be easy.

I like to think of wellness as a journey and every experience, good or bad, is a new step towards your goal. Changing your medication is a new step and if doesn't work out, you can just take another step and you certainly won't be going backwards as you will have learned something new.

Wishing you the best,

Beeee

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Beaser,

I understand your concerns, you can only try to up your dose and if you feel it's too much you could always talk to your gp about it.

Do you feel as though you need your dose increased?

You could always wait until your previous gp is available and discuss with them.

I like to stick to the one doctor regarding my medication because this doctor knows me and understands my history.

In my experience with upping medication like antidepressants there was always an uncomfortable period until my body adjusted and then I was back to normal again.

In regards to your friend as others have said we are all different and react in different ways.

Beaser
Community Member

Thank You all for your replies.

I managed to get into my new Dr today to discuss my concerns. He explained that i am still on a reasonably low dose and that i should handle an increase. I guess ive never really felt that medication has been that helpful untill ive actually gone off it . He also said that someone elses bad reaction to something is there experience and not mine . Im going to give it a try and see how it goes i think its my best option . Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. Stay safe and well. Brett

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thank you, Beaser, for the update.😸

It helps when we receive this sort of reassurance from a GP who listens to our concerns.

mmMekitty

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Brett, thanks for letting us know and please keep us informed.

Geoff.

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Beaser,

It's great to hear that your doctor has listened to your concerns and is providing information and support. Hoping everything is going well.

Beeee

Beaser
Community Member
Well its been a week now on the upped dose and so far so good. Maybe feeling a bit better but i realise its hard to gauge after just one week. Ill stick at it. Best wishes to everyone Brett .