FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How to live with someone with narcissistic traits

Hopeland
Community Member
  • I believe my partner has narcissistic traits and is affecting my mental health. I feel I need support as I at the moment am not happy to just leave the relationship. For now I just need to talk to people so I don’t go insane 
1 Reply 1

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hopeland,

Thank you for sharing this with us, and a warm welcome to the forums. I hear you. Narcissistic traits are always challenging to deal with. If it has come to the point where the manifestation of these traits is causing you distress, there are several steps you can take that don't necessarily involve leaving the relationship.

I will preface by saying that I can understand why leaving the relationship isn't your preferred course of action. Splitting up with somebody sounds a lot easier on paper, as there are so many aspects of a relationship to consider in doing so. Particularly if you share assets with somebody, leaving may not be as simple as saying "I can't do this anymore".

Often I find that people with these traits aren't aware of them, are in denial about them, or do not believe that their behaviours can be problematic. If you would feel comfortable, you could open a discussion with your partner about their behaviours that are upsetting you, if you haven't already. 

Is there anything in particular that's bothering you? Is it something that your partner is doing, or something that they're refusing to do? I have a little experience with people who have narcissistic traits, so I may be able to assist from my own experience, depending on what in particular you're struggling with.

Please feel free to chat some more if you'd like, we're here for you.

Take care, SB