FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Losing the rose tinted glasses

Orangeicy
Community Member

The rant. Apologies.

Over these past few months I've been attempting to grow as a person, to learn about myself and the scars I carry. I am anxious, low self-esteem and people pleasing.

Through my digging I have discovered that I was most likely parentified. The daughter servant expected to help out and be responsible for far more than was right. I was my mother's mini therapist. Always had to be skinnier/more popular/better and yet not ever good enough despite my best efforts. I always wished I was someone else, dreaming myself away in stacks of library books. Always wishing I had been a boy, because maybe then I would have been as good as my two brothers.

Anyway, through my digging I have discovered (I think) that my mum is a covert narcissist.

She fits all the criteria.

• Perfect to the outside world
  • Silent treatment
  • Walking on eggshells with her
  • Obsessed with looks

When I opened up about my anxiety to her a few months back it was minimized. Treated it like it was an attention thing. Pushed me straight back down in the ditch after I has risked talking about it.

My dad I'm not too sure about. Whether he is a narcissist, enabler or just emotionally stunted. I don't talk to him much because he is literally like a person with the title "dad" attached. There is no emotional value.

He believes that giving money shows he cares, but has no capacity to talk emotions with anyone.

I feel like I am constantly carrying a big backpack of shame and sadness with me. And I am sick of it.

I have moved far far away from my parents. Only see them sporadically. But letting go of the self image that was crammed down my throat proves a lot harder than I ever thought.

Therapy is unaffordable at this point so I am choosing here to unpack my bag of sh***y emotions.

2 Replies 2

Fern42
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Orangeicy,

It sounds like you are becoming highly self aware. This is definitely the first step to things getting better for you! Many people don't make the steps to educate and understand their own mental health so that is a great accomplishment. 

I am sorry to hear that you have come to this realization about your mum, dealing with a covert narcissist can definitely play out the effects that you are having on your mental health currently. I am also sorry to hear about how your father's behaviour is.  It sounds like you have done the right thing to move away, as difficult as that is because it is starting a new identity without them.

Please know that we are all here to support you and listen to you unpack your emotions any time.

Sophie_M
Hi Orangeicy, 
  Welcome to the forums and thank you for your bravery and openness in sharing here. It’s a really good place to have come to hear from others. We think sharing here is a great step towards feeling better.  
  If you want to talk through what you’re feeling at any time, the Beyond Blue Support Line is here for you 24/7 on 1300 22 4636, or online here. It’s ok to reach out when you’re feeling anxious or upset, they can talk you through some ways to find a bit of calm, and then help you to figure out some options for further support. 
  We’re sure we’ll hear from the lovely community soon, but in the meantime, here’s some strategies you might like to have a look at it. We understand you might have been through some of these in the past and it might feel like cold comfort right now, but they’re here in case they do pique your interest:  Thanks again for sharing. We’re here to listen and offer support, and you never know how your story might help someone else. 
  Kind regards, 
  Sophie M