FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anyone on medication while breastfeeding?

Nicole85
Community Member
Hi, I am trying to decide if I should take medication while I am breastfeeding my 6 month old. Have done so much research on it ie SSRI antidepresssant. But I don't want to harm my baby at all. She still gets up once or twice a night so I don't get a long period of time between feeds so she would get a high dosage of it. 

4 Replies 4

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Nicole85, thanks for posting. The information below is from the beyondblue resource Managing mental health conditions in pregnancy and early parenthood: A guide for women and their fam...:

Research has shown that certain antidepressants — selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) and tricyclic antidepressants — can be safely used in pregnancy as they are not associated with birth defects. As these medications pass into the breast milk at very low levels they can also be safely used during breastfeeding.

There's some more detailed information in the Perinatal Clinical Practice Guidelines here, but your best bet would be to consult your doctor, it's the only way to be sure as we're not health professionals here on the forums.

Nicole85
Community Member
Thank you. I have already discussed it with my doctor but it still makes me worry about my baby and I definitely don't want to stop breastfeeding. But I have came to the conclusion I need to take medication to be a good mum to my kids and to enjoy them while they are young

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Nicole, it's good you've discussed it with your doctor, and I can understand you still being worried. Have you had a look through the Womens section on the forums? There are quite a few threads there from new mums that will be able to relate to what you're going through.

Shell77
Community Member

Hi Nicole, 

i have had two babies, both whilst on medication. Breastfed on both. My children now 4 ad 6 are absolutely fine. I couldn't find much information on the subject and was worried also. But they are fine