Treatments, health professionals and therapies

Information on a range of different areas, including managing relationships with GPs and psychologists, and finding the right services for you.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

All discussions

luciban Relapse on medication
  • replies: 5

I have been taking a medication for anxiety and depression for 12 weeks and have felt absolutely fantastic for the last 5-6 weeks, my "normal" self and enjoying life. I worked night shift this week twice and had minimal sleep, woke up feeling very lo... View more

I have been taking a medication for anxiety and depression for 12 weeks and have felt absolutely fantastic for the last 5-6 weeks, my "normal" self and enjoying life. I worked night shift this week twice and had minimal sleep, woke up feeling very low, emotional and anxious. Saw my Doctor who prescribed something for sleep on a short term basis, but I am still feeling low with mild anxiety. The mood seems to be worse than the anxiety. Is this an indication that I need to have the dose of medication I am taking increased? I am in a high pressure job and need to have very good concentration. I am on the second lowest dose at present.

fastgirl_36 Medication
  • replies: 4

I have just been given some medication to deal with my depression. It is said 'it gets worse before it gets better' is this true? How do i know what Im taking is right for me?

I have just been given some medication to deal with my depression. It is said 'it gets worse before it gets better' is this true? How do i know what Im taking is right for me?

Incertus Finally seeking help
  • replies: 4

Hi everyone. I am male and 25 years old. I um undiagnosed but I am undoubtedly depressed or suffering some pretty full on anxiety issues. I am finally seeking help tomorrow. This comes after more than ten years of suffering and denial. I'm a bit nerv... View more

Hi everyone. I am male and 25 years old. I um undiagnosed but I am undoubtedly depressed or suffering some pretty full on anxiety issues. I am finally seeking help tomorrow. This comes after more than ten years of suffering and denial. I'm a bit nervous because I have no idea what to expect but if I don't do something soon I feel that I will never be able to finish my studies at uni. I receive study allowance from Centrelink because I have been unable to find work to support myself. When this semester comes to an end, I will be over the allowed time to receive study allowance, but I am only just half-way through my degree largely due to my psychological state. Centrelink staff told me that I can apply for more time to finish but I don't trust them because they are always telling me stuff that turns out to be untrue and then everything goes south leading to very stressful situations. I plan on going to see a student counsellor. Does anyone know what I should expect from this? Am I likely to get help with my situation (delayed graduation due to multiple failed units)? Should I see even see a counsellor first or should I maybe see my GP first?

Teagsyjm Feels like another SSRI failure
  • replies: 3

Hey guys!Throughout my struggle I have been on two different SSRI's, which also didn't have a successful outcome. A few weeks ago I was prescribe another SSRI, although it gave me restless legs. I have now come off it I am reaching out to see others ... View more

Hey guys!Throughout my struggle I have been on two different SSRI's, which also didn't have a successful outcome. A few weeks ago I was prescribe another SSRI, although it gave me restless legs. I have now come off it I am reaching out to see others experiences with SSRI's and if it's common that if I try another SSRI , will it not work for me because it's an SSRI and they haven't worked for me previously?Does it mean, I have to stray totally away from SSRI's and maybe try SNRI's? Thankyou!!!

Benb New to anxiety (work stress) need help on alternatives to taking medication
  • replies: 3

Hi all I had a melt down at work and have not be back, I have seen my GP and work doctor had told me I have anxiety and work stress, I do feel a lot better and will be going back to work next week, the only to still in my mind is the doctor is wantin... View more

Hi all I had a melt down at work and have not be back, I have seen my GP and work doctor had told me I have anxiety and work stress, I do feel a lot better and will be going back to work next week, the only to still in my mind is the doctor is wanting the put me on mediation, I do not want to go on mediation worried about side effects and get stuck on them, looking for alternatives to mediation, thank all

renmon Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR) - has anyone tried this?

I was reading a book that discussed this therapy and the author was very positive about it. I hadn't heard of it before but it sparked my interest. I have treatment resistant depression and anxiety and am finding life really hard. I've completed MBSR... View more

I was reading a book that discussed this therapy and the author was very positive about it. I hadn't heard of it before but it sparked my interest. I have treatment resistant depression and anxiety and am finding life really hard. I've completed MBSR programs the last two years, meditate regularly, don't drink much, swim twice a week and walk my dogs, study part time, catch up with friends every week etc etc. I'm a single parent with no respite options and unfortunately don't have the sort of friends or family that either understand the gravity of my condition or can provide much support. It's not much of a life but I'm making the best of what I can. I'm a single parent so I have to keep plowing on for my children even if I don't feel like it. I know it's easy to think something might be the Holy Grail for treatment and I am realistic but EMDR seemed like it might the thing for me. Would love to hear from anyone who has tried it and found it helpful/unhelpful. Thanks comrades

HA1 Blood Type & Depression/Anxiety
  • replies: 2

I wonder if anyone of our members have ever explored the relationship (if any) between our blood type and mental health? I would love to hear from anyone that has. K

I wonder if anyone of our members have ever explored the relationship (if any) between our blood type and mental health? I would love to hear from anyone that has. K

MsPhoenix What does AD's really do

I have been battling depression for a number of years now and tried many different meds. Are the meds to help you cope with day to day and take the edge off your emotional reaction to a situation? I don't seem to be 'getting better' with the meds I'm... View more

I have been battling depression for a number of years now and tried many different meds. Are the meds to help you cope with day to day and take the edge off your emotional reaction to a situation? I don't seem to be 'getting better' with the meds I'm on, in fact I am getting angrier, yelling more, hitting things, slamming doors, snappier and just can't stop crying. I would hate to think what I would be like without meds. Is it possible what I am taking is not compatible for me or is it just the situation I'm in that no medication can make me feel better. K

Bluebird-09 First psych appt today.... so anxious

I see a new psychiatrist today.. the appt was only made yesterday so I haven't had time to wrap my head around it. I saw a psychologist foe around 5 years and I still didn't tell her everything there was to know. I really want the right diagnosis and... View more

I see a new psychiatrist today.. the appt was only made yesterday so I haven't had time to wrap my head around it. I saw a psychologist foe around 5 years and I still didn't tell her everything there was to know. I really want the right diagnosis and treatment. .. I'm sick of feeling this way - I have had depression for most of my life but anxiety is fairly recent and I don't know why. I have a young family...i need to get better. So how do you get the most out of an appointment? I have seen a psych once or twice in the past and never liked their clinical approach. As much as I don't want to go there. . there needs to be a bigger picture painted of some horrific past events and circumstances that have lead to this me. I have a way of putting on a front that tells the world I'm fine. How do you take that mask off for an hour and be completely vulnerable to a stranger in order to get help? And then put the mask back on to deal with life in the meantime... And I have to be honest. .. I might only be able to go this one time. The cost is enormous...an entire days wages for me... A month or so worth of groceries for my family. But I know the cost of not getting help is higher. Thanks for reading. .. I feel very isolated and alone. I did post the other day for the first time in depression. I received an email back but the post was never published for some reason.