FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Medication

fastgirl_36
Community Member
I have just been given some medication to deal with my depression. It is said 'it gets worse before it gets better' is this true? How do i know what Im taking is right for me? 
4 Replies 4

Jacko777
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi fastgirl-36,

I am no expert, I could be wrong,  but I don't think it should 'get worse before it gets better.' Hopefully the doctor that prescribed your medication would have made you aware to keep an eye out for side effects. In my experience it can take a few go's to find the best match between the meds and your specific depression. I would presume that your doctor has considered your condition and prescribed what he/she thinks is right for you.

Hey how are you going mate? You have obviously been having a tough time, we are all ears if you want to talk. So is this the first time you have been prescribed medication for your depression?

If in doubt don't hesitate to ring the Beyond Blue phone service, it's free and 24/7 and there are people there that can help you. Talk any time.

Jack

fastgirl_36
Community Member
Yeah I have been having a pretty rough time at the moment. The depression has been taking over everything and ruining more than it should. I am normally a funny, bright and strong person -now I dont even know who I am anymore. 

dear Fastgirl, welcome to the BB site, and what you have posted is that normally when someone starts taking an antidepressant it's psychosomatic that they feel better, whether or not this is true, time will tell.

You have to allow about 6 weeks especially if it's the first antidepressant (AD) you are taking, however there are pro's and con's to this, in that there could be side-effects as Jacko has mentioned, and secondly this AD may not be the one that you need, as I had to try at least half a dozen before the one I'm still on was found, so the selection now is enormous and also covers different types.

As you aren't feeling any better and it's after say 6 weeks then go back to your doctor and tell him/her.

Let us know how you get on. L Geoff. x

Jacko777
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi fastgirl-36, I am glad you replied. You are still that funny, bright, strong person, in fact strong enough to get to the doc to get some help. You have started a new path of recovery now and in time you can reduce the depression and be your true character once again.

I try and keep focused on the positive things in my life, the more time spent there the better, I try to be aware of when my mind is wandering to a depressed state, I switch to working on my goals for the things I love like my family, home, passions. Meditation has helped me a lot to train my brain to focus.

Jack