Treatments, health professionals and therapies

Information on a range of different areas, including managing relationships with GPs and psychologists, and finding the right services for you.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

All discussions

Bluebird-09 First psych appt today.... so anxious
  • replies: 5

I see a new psychiatrist today.. the appt was only made yesterday so I haven't had time to wrap my head around it. I saw a psychologist foe around 5 years and I still didn't tell her everything there was to know. I really want the right diagnosis and... View more

I see a new psychiatrist today.. the appt was only made yesterday so I haven't had time to wrap my head around it. I saw a psychologist foe around 5 years and I still didn't tell her everything there was to know. I really want the right diagnosis and treatment. .. I'm sick of feeling this way - I have had depression for most of my life but anxiety is fairly recent and I don't know why. I have a young family...i need to get better. So how do you get the most out of an appointment? I have seen a psych once or twice in the past and never liked their clinical approach. As much as I don't want to go there. . there needs to be a bigger picture painted of some horrific past events and circumstances that have lead to this me. I have a way of putting on a front that tells the world I'm fine. How do you take that mask off for an hour and be completely vulnerable to a stranger in order to get help? And then put the mask back on to deal with life in the meantime... And I have to be honest. .. I might only be able to go this one time. The cost is enormous...an entire days wages for me... A month or so worth of groceries for my family. But I know the cost of not getting help is higher. Thanks for reading. .. I feel very isolated and alone. I did post the other day for the first time in depression. I received an email back but the post was never published for some reason.

Leafmaple Cognitive behavioural therapy
  • replies: 3

I am 71, have suffered from moderate depression since adolescence. I exchanged a few messages here a year or so ago. I would like to ask about the experiences people have had with CBT. This seems to be all the rage; it seems impossible to find any ot... View more

I am 71, have suffered from moderate depression since adolescence. I exchanged a few messages here a year or so ago. I would like to ask about the experiences people have had with CBT. This seems to be all the rage; it seems impossible to find any other form of treatment now, apart from drugs. I want to emphasize that I do not at all want to discourage anyone from using CBT, and most certainly do not want to destroy anyone's faith in their treatment. I am very aware that there is a huge body of research that says CBT is effective. And if it is working or has worked for you, that is great, or if you are thinking about trying it, or are about to start such a program, I would encourage you to do so. However, speaking strictly for myself, I tried an online CBT program for depression and gave up halfway through. I had read a fair bit about CBT beforehand, and was skeptical, because I could not see how it could possibly work for me. Also, in my pre-retirement life, I was an academic and learned to skeptical about some research, where everyone jumps on a certain wagon for a while, so had doubts about the validity of some of the research. But at the same time, as everyone here knows, depression is no fun, and I was ready to try it, despite my skepticism. I gave up primarily because I felt I was being encouraged to tell myself lies, to convince myself that what I know to be true is not true. I realize that some thoughts are not helpful, but that doesn't mean they are not true. From the outside my life seems successful; to me, from the inside, it has been a waste and a failure. That is not a helpful thought, no doubt about that, but it is true, feels true too, and thousands of concrete experiences have proved it to me; every social interaction with a stranger proves it to me. Telling myself it is not true seems like the height of foolishness to me, would be like trying to convince myself that 2 + 2 = 5. When I was last here, someone mentioned finding success with a group CBT treatment. I can't see how that would work either. However, I would be grateful if anyone wanted to talk about how CBT, either in a group or not, was helpful to them. I am not asking because I want to attack anyone's treatment, but hopefully to understand how CBT has helped others. Thanks.

nataya DBT intensive treatment group
  • replies: 1

I am about to start and intensive DBT group that involves one group session and a psychologist a week plus they encourage you to call when you become distressed and can contact your psychologist on there mobile. They may not get back straight away bu... View more

I am about to start and intensive DBT group that involves one group session and a psychologist a week plus they encourage you to call when you become distressed and can contact your psychologist on there mobile. They may not get back straight away but they will get back to you. I really struggle to use services out of the time I am given to see them so I tend to suffer in silence until I see them in person. Idon't know much about DBT and what to expect I'm just wondering what others know and have heard. I have heard it has a high success rate so I am hoping for it to work well with me because this is my last chance. So I have a year..

C_hris Treatment out of contol
  • replies: 2

I've had Bipolar 1 with melancholic depression and psychosis for 9 years. I have never reached full remission and am now on disability pension. I changed to my 8th antidepressant to see if the new drug on the block would provide me what the others co... View more

I've had Bipolar 1 with melancholic depression and psychosis for 9 years. I have never reached full remission and am now on disability pension. I changed to my 8th antidepressant to see if the new drug on the block would provide me what the others couldn't. Started itching straight away and within 2 weeks had a rash develop on my legs that spread to my arms, chest, abdo and back. It was stopped and after the rash disappeared I was started on an SNRI and the rash and itches returned that day and has continued to spread over the 2 weeks since stopping my snri . My psychiatrist has told me that the 2 drugs are not chemically related, but there was some sort of cross over effect with serotonin? Because of the extent and type of rash he never wants me to have SSRIs or SNRIs again. I'm really "not happy Jan" about having all of those out of my arsenal. I asked about the tricyclates and MAOs. He said that he would rather go with ECT for me. I'm terrified and scared at the same time. It's only a few months since I was having the psychotic depression, and I know this is really going to happen to me. I'm terrified about memory loss, even if it is short term. I live by myself since my husband died. There is no one to help me find the keys, feed my dog, or pay my bills. I already keep my drugs in a dosette and manage to get it wrong when I am unstable. I'm terrified. I want to put this life back in the hat and pick out a different one. This is not fun anymore ... and I come home to an empty house and there is noone to hold me through this.

NerNerNer Random counsellor thinks I have psychotic symptoms?

Hi all, yesterday I had my intake at my local acute care team's office and, obviously, had to have a sit down with one of the counsellors(?) so he could direct me to the correct service. After talking to him for a while, he suddenly asked me if I hea... View more

Hi all, yesterday I had my intake at my local acute care team's office and, obviously, had to have a sit down with one of the counsellors(?) so he could direct me to the correct service. After talking to him for a while, he suddenly asked me if I hear voices or have hallucinations. To me his question was random, unexpected and I failed to understand why he would ask me that as my diagnosis is moderate to severe depression, anxiety and complex PTSD. Two different psychiatrists have confirmed and agreed upon this diagnosis with no mention or concern of psychosis. While I appreciate that major depression can manifest psychotic features, I'm not that depressed. The only thing I can think of would be that my PTSD is running wild and free right now and affecting my mood terribly. I'm sure the mood swings and extreme distrust of everyone and everything must be a tad confronting, but still, psychosis? Has anyone ever had this happen to them? Should I pay him any mind? To be fair, I shared with him the following informastion: I have this constant pain in my throat that either stops me from sleeping or wakes me up so I'm wicked sleep deprived and will be until I can go have the surgery to have it checked out. The anxiety of having to wait is a trigger for childhood neglect I experienced and I waver between being afraid that I'll get too sick and die before I can be treated to worrying that I'll have to live with this pain long term. I also mentioned that my housemate forgets conversations we have and/or pretends that he doesn't remember so he can avoid confrontation. The reason I think this is true is because he will back-flip mid conversation or change tact and say that I was the one who brought it up when he actually started the conversation or topic. He does this all the time.

maeve Therapy for someone who is treatment resistant
  • replies: 4

My son is 34 and has been in a bad state for the last 20 years. He has been to every private hospital in Brisbane and surrounds and he always leaves worse than when he arrived. Every psychiatrist he has seen has diagnosed him with a different 'disord... View more

My son is 34 and has been in a bad state for the last 20 years. He has been to every private hospital in Brisbane and surrounds and he always leaves worse than when he arrived. Every psychiatrist he has seen has diagnosed him with a different 'disorder', the latest being a personality disorder. They then say they can't treat him but never recommend who can or what can. Their response is most times, 'I don't know what you can do'. Because nothing works, he has taken himself off all meds and refuses to go to any form of therapy as he wishes to punish the doctors for 'abandoning him'; this only punishes him and his family. The result is, a huge ball of rage that wishes death and destruction to the world. His solution is to start smoking pot again, which I think may be partially the cause for the way he is now. Who knows? I feel he needs to go to some sort of rehab place to get counselling on a regular basis, not a private hospital. All the ones I google are retreats, not rehab and they cost extraordinary amounts of money. Does anyone know of somewhere that could help, even overseas, to get my son back on track and discover a life for himself?

PinkDiamonds25 Just having a bad day.. Or should I say week, month year, decade.... I don't know what's wrong with me?

I've been writing a list of my symptoms because I am up for a "review" of my pension with centrelink because of my age. This really doesn't help (the stress of not knowing if I will be able to pay my rent next week/feed myself and my son or worse, be... View more

I've been writing a list of my symptoms because I am up for a "review" of my pension with centrelink because of my age. This really doesn't help (the stress of not knowing if I will be able to pay my rent next week/feed myself and my son or worse, be forced to return to work before I am well enough. I'm a single mother to a 3 year old, I can't take the added stress of work (especially since it was my previous job that pushed me over the edge with my mental health (years of workplace harassment and excessive workload).A list of symptoms I had written a week ago are here: Bowel issues- Dioreah, constipation, wind pain, cramping, bloating, discomfort, pressure. Physical issues- aching, tight muscles in arms, legs, neck, shoulders, back. Constantly hot/cold, head aches, blurred vision at times, heart palpitations, dizziness, reflux.Fatigued, trouble sleeping.Mental issues- anxious, stressed, depressed, tired, irritable, lack of concentration, easily overwhelmed, flashbacks/triggers cause panic attacks.Feel like everyone is looking at me/talking about me,Will go to extreme extent to avoid going to certain places eg major shopping centres, areas I used to frequent/live, public transport.I can't stand feeling trapped anywhere eg, crowded places where I can't get away quickly if I need to.Emotions tend to run high, when I'm upset I feel extremely upset, when I'm irritable I sometimes overreact. Thoughts can feel like they are consuming me- it's often difficult to take my mind off problems.Trust issues, a feeling like everyone is out to get me.Always looking over my shoulder.Constantly worried about "tomorrow". So I seem to be getting increasingly worse with the added stress (my appointment isn't until next week), I can feel myself getting increasingly agitated, upset, depressed, anxious ect. Thoughts of self harm are popping up frequently (I have no intentions of following through but it's just not a nice feeling to have)I've been feeling irritable with people close to me and I just can't hold myself together. I had a panic attack until I vomited and I've just been feeling really sensitive since.I've rang and organised counselling,they can't see me for another month.It's going to cost $165 per hour which I can't pay for if i lose my pension. I don't know how to calm myself down. I'm so stressed I just want to vomit. I've recently had my meds doubled, I'm hoping it should start to kick in soon. beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636. Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

cdb24 Finding a Psychiatrist who Bulk Bills (Melbourne)

I have been receiving psychological and GP treatment for Panic Disorder and PTSD , my psychologist and GP both think it will be a good idea to see a psychiatrist but I am not working at the moment so need one that Bulk bills in the Melbourne area. My... View more

I have been receiving psychological and GP treatment for Panic Disorder and PTSD , my psychologist and GP both think it will be a good idea to see a psychiatrist but I am not working at the moment so need one that Bulk bills in the Melbourne area. My GP suggested I try asking here. I would appreciate any help.

emmaalouisee How to deal with withdrawal symptoms
  • replies: 3

Hi, I have recently stopped my SSRI and have been experiencing severe, even debilitating withdrawal symptoms, such as migraines and feeling totally spaced out. I am having trouble dealing with these and was wondering whether anyone has any advice as ... View more

Hi, I have recently stopped my SSRI and have been experiencing severe, even debilitating withdrawal symptoms, such as migraines and feeling totally spaced out. I am having trouble dealing with these and was wondering whether anyone has any advice as to what to do. Thanks in advance!

emmaalouisee Recently come off antidepressants and struggling
  • replies: 4

I have recently come off my antidepressants and have been really struggling. Its been only five days since I completed weaning and I feel as though I am going crazy. It started off with sweating, nausea, tremors and headaches. Now I feel as though I ... View more

I have recently come off my antidepressants and have been really struggling. Its been only five days since I completed weaning and I feel as though I am going crazy. It started off with sweating, nausea, tremors and headaches. Now I feel as though I am depressed and spaced out. Cannot even function properly. On the verge of tears and cannot do the simplest of things such as driving a car or cleaning the house. Please tell me it gets easier...