FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Medication Dilemma

MOC1
Community Member
I'm the mum of an almost 18yo guy who has depression and anxiety. His first bout with anxiety was as a 13/14yo for approx 8 months.  He saw a psychologist for this time and it really helped. He appeared to travel along OK until approx November last year when things went down hill. This was about the time that he started his Year 12 HSC (term 4). He is now midway through and really struggling. He is back seeing his psychologist weekly. He was on one SSRIs medication for approx 5 months which caused horrible nausea and headaches and at the time didn't appear to greatly lift his mood but now on reflection it may have. He has now tried another SSRIs for just less then 4 weeks (thankfully no headaches and nausea), with the last 2 weeks being dreadful with moods - he said that one of those weeks was the worst that he has experienced over the last year. His doctor has suggested either increasing his current medication dose (double as he is currently on a low dose) or changing to a new medication completely (either a SNRIs or SSNRI). He seems to have picked up a little last night and today but it is also the weekend and no stress from school. We are in a quandary because he has trial exams coming up in approx 5 weeks and he does not want to make it harder for himself with medication changeover etc if it may not be necessary. He has said that he wants to stay at school and get his HSC if he can although we have given him many options so that he does not feel pressured. At the moment he struggles with focus / concentration (not sure whether this is the depression or his current medication). The dilemma is does he stick with his current medication and increase the dose or does he change to a new medication which also potentially increases energy levels as well as mood - always a little hit and miss with AD . Any thoughts from those of you who may have experienced a similar dilemma would be great. Thanks for reading.
2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi MOC1,  welcome here to beyond blue forums

We are sufferers here also and cannot advise on medications. It's really for your sons doctor to assess.

However a few things I can tell yuo from my experiences that might help.

- medications can take up to 6 weeks to take effect

- Sometimes it takes a long time to find the 'right one'. I tried 12 before I found the one for me.

- The dilemma of not knowing if effects on behaviour are from meds or illness or other like maturity etc are always an issue.

I'm really happy to read a parent that give their child many options other than pressurising them to get their HSC. Not all of our children can be rogue scholars. With mental illness (and this is important) IMO we need to encourage our kids to find happiness, to be content in life and this for some might be going to work and getting a wage weekly so they can buy a car or take a friend on a date. It might not include education. I would extend this good approach of yours to telling him clearly that if he doenst pass it doesnt matter, as long as he tries.

My late brother pressured himself to succeed in education. He became a teacher and circummed  to such stress to end his life at 27yo. He likely had bipolar and other issues we didnt know them days. Hence my views on minimalising expectations.

You are doing everything right. You are a good parent. It shows. Keep his mental illness as your top priority.   Take care

Tony WK

Hi guys, this thread is a double-post. You can continue your conversation in the original thread here, this one will be locked.