FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation/ Direct Current Stimulation

Anushka
Community Member

Hi everyone

I'm new to BB forum although definitely not new to bipolar. I was diagnosed 2.5 years ago after a 10 year struggle. Meds have been effective but side effects on weight/skin/tremors have been horrendous. I am currently seeking help from the Black Dog Institute in joining one of their trials for DCS. 

My psychiatrist is very focussed on medication and doesn't really seem to know much about TMS or DCS. He didn't even know that TMS is a RANZ College of Psychiatrists approved treatment for severe depression! Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these brain stimulations and whether you've benefited from it. Also if you have had it, do you still take medications?

Thanks in advance,

Anushka

2 Replies 2

Calie
Community Member

Hi Anushka

yes, I have had it, and it did help, but I need to return to it every 2-3 months for another full course. It also seems I need to remain on some form of AD (anti dep) even though these are very inadequate on their own also after a few months. After almost 2 years, though, I think the combination of TMS and  and AD is still be best option  -  although I am interested in one day trying different TMS options (e.g. induced seizure). Not yet sure about his as it is not able to be continued in Aus once you have one try -  very early stages for this treatment.

I hope this helps a little. I would definitely recommend you try

Mrsbeee
Community Member
Hi I am new to BB and have had ect and 18 treatments of tms finishing just last week. I have had depression and anxiety for 3 and a bit years, I can see a small  difference in myself but not a big difference.