FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

struggling with special needs children

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Does anyone else have children with special needs.I am struggling with mine.My youngest cant use a toilet when their at the age they should be.I am getting tired of changing them,does that make me a bad parent?The constant hyperepisodes are taking their strain especially that i am going through other personal stuff in my life
1,006 Replies 1,006

Hi to sleepy if you are reading and hope you are doing ok.I am recovering ok apart from a cough and feeling tired still.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I finding it very hard giving him his medication he needs.He does not like the taste and just spitting it out but needs to have it and have tried various things to put it in.At least he has a day off from it tomorrow.

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Mark, I wrote to you earlier and for some reason it isn't here.  

Now I have forgotten what I wrote to you!

I used to have to swallow nasty tasting medicine when I was a kid - I got a  sweet after swallowing it as a reward - there's no real way to disguise a nasty tasting medicine, but the prospect of a lolly afterwards made me get the nasty medicine down.  I don't know if you've tried this?

Sorry I don't remember what I wrote to you now.  It's been hot here today and I had coffee by the beach this morning - the sea was looking beautiful and there were lots of people there and lots of dogs looking very happy after their run on the beach!  I love how happy the animals look at the seaside.

Kitty is doing really well.  It's sometimes tricky not knowing what happened to him and what things frighten him, but he's improving steadily and he's really very sweet.  Do please tell your daughter how important her work is with the animals at the shelter - the young women where I went here were very good with the animals and kind to them and I'm sure that helped the poor creatures a lot - and it means pets like Brucie here get another chance at a better home.  

So tell your daughter she should feel proud of the work she does, it's an important and valuable role and as someone who has taken on a rescue cat, I am grateful for the care Brucie got before I brought him home here.

I am off to get some dinner - today seems to have flown by.  I got the car headlights redone yesterday at no cost of course - they said they think it's because of the sun - I told them considering we are in Australia I don't know what I can do about the car getting sun on it!  Anyway, I'll see if the treatment on the headlights lasts any longer this time!

Have a good evening Mark - and if Sleepy is reading, do let us know how you are Sleepy and we're thinking of you.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Hanna I have tried most things.Their is another brand of the medicine that I can try but is supose to be worst tasting.The nurse said the other was the better one for kids to go on.

My daughter said their are lots at the shelter at the moment with 4 Ragdoll cats which is an expensive breed.My daughters cat at her mother's is a Ragdoll and my neighbours cat here is.

A bit of a warm day and the sun is disappearing now so will cool down now.

I am glad Brucie settled in and has a good loving home.My cat here likes sitting outside during the day and comes in for a sleep.She slept on my daughters bed last night.

Hopefully your headlights last longer this time.The sun in this country is so strong so hard to stop it.

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Mark,

Yes medicines can be unpleasant to have to take but hopefully it is helping you to get better.  It's still warm here but WA and Victoria are getting heatwaves so I guess we are getting a bit of it here - had hoped to have a swim at the beach but it was too crowded with holiday makers so I just had a coffee and a stroll.

The ragdoll cats are lovely - Brucie gets the zoomies around 3am which is a bit tiring for me - he tends to sleep a lot in the afternoons, he's found the best comfy spot on my bed of course.  He is afraid of a lot of things - loud noises, anything strange like if I put my shoulder bag down in the wrong spot - and he still hides under a side table a lot.  I think it's going to take time and patience, he's obviously had a lot of trauma.  

I haven't done much that was exciting today, just things like tidy the house and vacuum etc.  Yes let's hope my car headights last longer than 3 months this time!  For two hundred dolllars they should!

I belong to a group that volunteers to report any animal cruelty on the internet and I'm surprised how many people think little monkeys dressed in clothes are cute - it's actually cruel and especially when they are made to walk on hind legs, which isn't natural.  So I often get busy on the internet at home looking for this kind of thing and reporting it, as we are trying to get people aware that wild animals should not be kept as pets.  I sometimes watch a channel called the Vervet Monkey Foundation on Utube that places orphaned baby monkeys with surrogate mothers in I think South Africa - they are wonderful to watch - it would be wonderful to be a volunteer there, they seem to attract young people to do that and what a great experience that would be.

Well I am off to get some dinner - it's a lovely evening here now with a bit of a breeze.  

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Hanna it was very much a quiet day here.I got my daughter to go into town and get fish and chips for us as i am still very tired and didn't t feel like going out.

My cat was asleep on my bed to my son woke her up and now she wants to go outside.She will sit there watching the world go by.

It makes it hard for my son when the medication has to be long term.It has to be in the form it is in which makes it hard.

Looks like a dry week ahead here with warm days.

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Mark, I can understand it's difficult if your son has to take unpleasant tasting medicine each day~  Is there a treat of some kind he can have after taking it so he has something to take the taste away and something to look forward to?

It's very hot here too.  I heard Tasmania had it's hottest night in 112 years!  I was talking to a young woman from tasmania today - she had to come up here to finish her degree in nuclear medicine and she was really feeling the hot weather.

I ran into a nice lady I used to see out walking Sam today - she asked what had happened to Sam and I explained about him - she was lovely and had a very nice kind chat to me about losing our pets - she has an old dog herself that she loves very much and so she does think about this.  She was the first person I have come across who actually asked about Sam and what happened to him, so it meant a lot to me that she thought to do that.

Kittie is having settling in problems.  He is getting the zoomies about 3am and not settling down again for ages.  He does like it when I sing to him and he seems to settle down a bit then.  It's hard not knowing his background at all or what his owner did with him and fed him etc.  It's a steep learning curve for us both here!

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Hanna when I dropped off my son yesterday which I got to walk him in to the head of special needs room another young lady was with her who is going to be with him the entire day and watch him and look after him.Sk looks like they have someone permit now for him.

Not much else happening,my daughter did me a cake for my birthday yesterday and I mowed the lawn after I dropped my son off at school.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

It's my sons birthday today.We celebrated it together.I hope he has a good day at school.

Hanna3
Community Member

I hope you all had a happy day Mark!  Did your son get something special for his birthday and/or have a birthday cake?

It's very hot here - another heatwave coming through in March!  It's very quiet and sleepy around town for some reason - not much happening.  I went to the library this morning, had a coffee out, and am just chilling at home this afternoon.