FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

struggling with special needs children

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Does anyone else have children with special needs.I am struggling with mine.My youngest cant use a toilet when their at the age they should be.I am getting tired of changing them,does that make me a bad parent?The constant hyperepisodes are taking their strain especially that i am going through other personal stuff in my life
1,006 Replies 1,006

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Hanna I hope you can feel better soon.I hope it's not a flu like I had?it was terrible.I am looking forward to the Easter holidays.I think those teachers I know think the napalm testing is a waste of times.Just something the government wants done.

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Mark, back briefly but still not feeling terrific - and we had rolling storms all last night with almost gale force winds.

There's quite a lot of discussion about Naplan on reddit Australia by the teachers there - they say it's meant to be a diagnostic tool but in fact it's used to judge schools.  A lot of teaching time is taken in preparing for it they say, and while it does some good in maths and literacy it's not helpful for students with a learning disability of any kind.  They say it doesn't cover social skills or creativity which are important.  It sounds like some teachers find the results interesting and others say it takes up too much of their teaching time.  It didn't exist when I did some teaching long ago.  

I have been discussing recently on another forum (not BB) the comments on utube that complain about Karens (being middle aged/older women I think).  It is insulting but I said I think it's people who have nothing useful to say and they resort to insults and name calling, and sometimes they just want to derail the conversation.  

I had to take kitty to the vet today, borrow a carry crate and then drive back and return it, so a long day and a lot of money paid to the vet for the consultation!  I'm still off colour so I'm going to have a rest now - I wonder did you get any of the violent storms we had here last night up your way?

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Hanna I hope the cat check up was ok for Brucie.No storms or rain here for awhile now.Could do with some more rain before winter.

NAPLAN testing is finished for the moment.It is school cross country today.I use to love the school cross country running through the creeks where I lived.

I see a lot of nasty comments and name calling on Facebook in other groups.Terrible place at times.I just stick to the few friends and family members I have and try to not read the other post from groups.

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Mark, I'm feeling better today thank you - the weather is cooling down and I guess we're entering the season when viruses and colds spread around.

The cross country run sounds like fun and how good for the kids to enjoy themselves doing that.

Kitty's health is OK but we're not sure if he's adjusting very well to the unit where I live - we don't know his background, if he was an outdoor cat or lived with other pets - I think sometimes he is bored.  I do play with him but I think he gets bored/lonely when I am out.  He doesn't use the cat tree much at all.  The vet and I were wondering if he would be better in a bigger place maybe...I was going to ring the shelter and talk to the staff there but it's Friday and heading into Easter next week.  It's hard with the rescue animals not knowing what happened to them or anything about their history.

The shelter here is asking desperately for someone to adopt a large dog that has been returned to them twice and has been at the shelter for months now, they said it's developing mental health problems as a result poor thing.  How does your daughter deal with all this, it must be hard not to get involved with the animals.

I have to do some grocery shopping today, otherwise a quiet day I think, it's rained overnight so everything is rather wet!

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Mark, I managed to get through with a new avator of little Sam.  Hope you get through the changed system too!

Hi Mark, I'm not on Facebook and from the sound of it, that's just as well!  People can be so nasty online because they're not face-to-face with anyone - it's easy to act tough when it's just typeface.  Sorry that people are being nasty though and I hope it's not directed at you or your family at all.

Kitty is upset by the wind today - I've just closed the door and put some quiet music on and he seems to have calmed down, it took me a while to realize what was upsetting him.

Had to do a big grocery shop today of all days when the supermarket was packed with people - you'd think everything was closing for a week, not just one day.

i hope you have a pleasant Easter Mark - do the kids get easter eggs?

Hi Mark

You may have stopped posting altogether which is fine, but just in case I'm popping by to say I hope you and your family are keeping well and OK.  Best wishes!