FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

struggling with special needs children

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Does anyone else have children with special needs.I am struggling with mine.My youngest cant use a toilet when their at the age they should be.I am getting tired of changing them,does that make me a bad parent?The constant hyperepisodes are taking their strain especially that i am going through other personal stuff in my life
1,006 Replies 1,006

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

My son got a cake and presents.A bit hot here but not a heatwave so not to bad for march.It cools down here about May.It looks like we are in for a dry spell.No rain forecast for awhile.

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Mark, I hope your son had a good time and got some presents he liked.  It's hot here all week I think but at least the evenings are cooling down.  Not much news as it's been a routine day today, just the usual stuff.  Got an interesting book about how sitting too much and general inactivity is harming our health, I already knew that but it looks to be an interesting book anyway.  

I also have a book out on teaching kids reading and writing - I am interested in helping kids at a school to read as a volunteer and wanted to see the latest text books on the subject, so that will keep me busy.  

I have heard the parents today are both working and have less time to read to their kids so I thought maybe volunteering to help school kids with reading could be a good thing to do.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I manage to into town today to do some shopping but I left my script at home so I will have to go back and get it tomorrow.

I have the BBQ Sunday to celebrate my son and daughters birthday and two of my grandkids as well.I will have to make something Saturday to take over.

My son has been hanging out with a kid in his class that came to his primary school last year.Not sure if it's a good thing.

Cooler here today and a bit cloudy but no rain around.

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Mark, isn't it frustrating when you do something like leave the script you needed at home?  I think we all do things like that from time to time.  It's been very warm to hot here today but a breeze is picking up now and we are supposed to get some rain and cooler temperatures tomorrow.  

The BBQ sounds lovely and I hope you get good weather for it and have a lovely day!  

I guess your son is glad to have a friend with him - I hope it works out OK for him.

Kitty has some behaviour issues, a bit of play aggression and I think he needs a better scratching post than what I have - I will order one from Ebay i've seen, it has very good reviews, and I'm going to get a water fountain as well, just an inexpensive one, to see if that amuses him a bit too.  There is some guy on utube who recommends clicker training for cats, but I can't imagine my guy doing tricks somehow - I think he's a bit too dignified!

I have a GP appointment tomorrow so I'm glad your post reminded me to check if I need any prescriptions - thank you for that Mark!

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Hanna I have been really sick today from coughing.Just can't seem to clear my lungs.

Nothing else really happen today.

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Mark, whatever you've caught seems to be hanging around - sorry to hear you're still unwell.  Rest up, take it easy, drink plenty of fluids and I do hope you will feel better soon.  It's miserable feeling sick.

I'm not long up, it looks like a beautiful day outside, think I will have a coffee at a cafe looking over the sea this morning.  

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Hanna and anyone else reading.I still have the cough but mostly feeling ok.I went to my daughters on Saturday and spent spent sometime with the grandkids and we had a nice meal with ham,Turkey and sausages and salads.

The mornings are starting to get nice and cool here and slowly Autumn is making its way.No leaf drop on deciduous trees yet which I think we will be still in warm days for awhile yet.

My son only has next week of school to go before the Easter holidays and be good to have a break from school for him.He is is doing Naplan testing this week which I see as a pointless exercise.Their is many kids working below the level that the government expects them to.My son works at a year 5 level which is what the school has accessed he can do and I am happy him working at that level.

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Mark I've come down with a virus today so will be in touch tomorrow I hope. 

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hanna I hope you feel better soon.

Hanna3
Community Member

Hi Mark just a brief reply as I've had some kind of virus and have been feeling pretty off - worse as it's hot and humid as well!  I have to take Brucie to the vet tomorrow if I can get him into the crate, the other day he refused even though he's done it many times before...

I've heard teachers say what a waste of time the NAPLAN testing is - I don't know much about it but I don't think these tests really achieve much at all and they're a headache for the teaching staff.

Years ago when I did some teaching I had a six year old boy who was really struggling to read.  I used phonics with him, which is what I had taught to me when I was a kid and it works - sounding out the words.  I got into terrible trouble for using phonics which were then considered bad and the kids were somehow expected to "recognize" the whole word - which is ridiculous.  If they see "CAT" and you read out the sounds kids pick it up fast.  Now it's gone full circle and they are back to phonics again.  

Best thing is to read to your kids at home, honestly.  Sing songs with them.  Read poems.  

I'm glad you had a nice lunch the other day.  I hope I can throw off this fluey thing fast, it's too hot and humid to be sick!  I am still longing for some cool weather...

Catch up again soon, sorry for brief reply.  Have a good evening Mark.