FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

struggling with special needs children

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Does anyone else have children with special needs.I am struggling with mine.My youngest cant use a toilet when their at the age they should be.I am getting tired of changing them,does that make me a bad parent?The constant hyperepisodes are taking their strain especially that i am going through other personal stuff in my life
1,005 Replies 1,005

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi sleepy I will be able to get a rest tomorrow afternoon when I drop my kids to their mothers for a week.You don't have to be parent to come on here.Its just nice to know someone's reading and cares.Kids can have a lot of tough questions.
Take care,
Mark.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks Mark i hope you get a break over the weekend

im glad it's okay that i don't have parenting advice 🙂

Guest_4643
Community Member
Hi Mark, I just wanted to pop on and check out your thread to say hi. I'll reply on my own thread when I feel like it, which isn't right now. But I wanted to say I'm sorry you have special needs kids, but you're a great Dad and person, and you do your best to look after them. I'm sure they love and appreciate you and everything you do for them. I haven't read through this thread yet so my apologies. I hope you're doing ok.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tayla good to see you on here.I hope you are doing ok but if not I am here to talk.Thankyou for your kind words.

Tark care,

Mark.

Thanks Mark, I hope you're ok too.

I'll try and reply tonight, otherwise tomorrow or in a few days, on my thread. Thanks.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi all a few days break from my kids and I am really struggling today with my health.Hopefully I will be better tomorrow.
I have a chart for my son's toileting and one for brushing his teeth that I Mark off and will give him a reward.My son now does dress himself in the morning and it the first thing he does in the morning though half the time he puts his clothes on back to front.
My daughter keeps talking about getting a job and moving out of home at the end of the year.I am not sure how she is going to achieve this with her anxiety and selective mutism.I can't even get her to go to the shop for me.I really need to work on her confidence It is really hard when I don't have any my self.

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey mark hope you are doing over over the weekend with ur kids at their mums

sounds like you are doing ur best to give them the best

i love the idea of the chart for ur son, sounds like its paying off....

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Thanks Sleepy for your kind words i try my best as a parent.It is hard when I am struggling myself .I will try and get some sleep soon,my cat has joined me on my bed and is snuggling up to me.
Take care,
Mark.

Jstar49
Community Member

Hey Mark,

Hope you're feeling a bit better and have gotten a chance to rest.

Wow thats amazing that your d wants to move out of home and get a job. Maybe that will be the turning point for her. I know I was pretty amazed when my d's work experience at a cafe turned her from a surly-won't answer- the phone teenager into a chatty "Hi, how can I help you" waitress....! I could not believe it! I'm sure it's totally different with your d and with her needs but hey, kids are amazing creatures. I think one of the best things we can do for them is be honest ( re your qu from your son lol) and believe in them. They are not us, mine have proved that time and time again. And we are not our parents! Thank God!

BTW with your son, simple is probably best lol. whatever is true and you are comfortable with. I'm sure our kids say the most revealing things at school- our teachers have hinted at it. Teachers learn to take it with a grain of salt. It's all through the child's perspective!

Feel free to ignore any and all of what I say, and trust yourself.

Cheers,

J*

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Jstar thanks for your lovely reply.We will see how my daughter goes with her final year of high school this year and how she manages that ok.She still has other health problems as well as mental health problems.She is saving up for a car at the moment and I have opened a bank account for her when she was 7 and been putting money in there every fortnight and have done the same with my son.My son now wants a chart for chores do I will probably have three charts for him.At least when my son isn't here I can stay in bed a bit longer though I have been awake for awhile but just wake up so tired with no energy these days in
Take care,
Mark.