FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Please help...

kalredhead
Community Member
I'm at the end of my rope.

My Mum has severe depression and has essentially lost the will to live. She has been going through close to extreme stress nearly all of her life. She has admitted that she had extreme postpartum depression after she gave birth to me And her current job as a clerk at a prison is putting a lot of stress on her, to the point that she has simply stopped going to work. She is also suffering from constant migraines which she needs strong painkillers for, which I am worried that she is becoming addicted to.

She used to be actually happy but now it takes everything she has just to get out of bed. She has also put on several kilos and as she was already obese, it is now affecting her sleep apneia. And as if that wasn't bad enough, her GP has diagnosed her with early onset dementia. But honestly, I think all of these problems are being caused by her depression, as it is making her just give up on doing anything and I am worried that she may try and commit suicide. 

I don't want to lose my Mum but I don't know how to help her. Please help me.

1 Reply 1

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello kalredhead, it sounds like your mum is pretty unwell at the moment, I am very sorry to hear this. It's really taking a toll on you isn't it? The first thing I would say is that you shouldn't have to deal with this all on your own. Where is the rest of your family on this? I remember you posting before and mentioning your father and brother. I know that you have your own depression to deal with too.

I am wondering if you are feeling extra guilty about it because your mum mentioned the depression starting after she gave birth to you. Please know that it is not your fault, it is very common for women to become depressed while pregnant or after they give birth, and this is no more your fault than your depression can be blamed on your mum.  It's all chemicals in our brains.

I am worried that you say you think yoour mum may be suicidal. Has she said anything to you about this? If you are worried she is feeling this way it is perfectly ok to ask her, and if she says she is then you should have no hesitation in getting in touch with her doctor yourself.  But as I said above you shouldn't have to be dealing with this on your own.  Please let us know how you're going.