FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Suicidal thoughts and depression

Mattie090
Community Member

Hi

My name is Matt

Im in an extremely dark place at the moment. I’ve been through a marriage separation and my wife that I loved and adored has blocked me. It’s caused me to become very suicidal with no hope in site I have nothing very little friends and support I’m at the end of my road and don’t see a way out. I have struggled with anxiety for many years I just can’t seem to  get through this time. 

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M

Hi Mattie090, 

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your bravery and openness in sharing here. It’s a really good place to have come to hear from others who understand what you’re going through. We can hear how difficult it has been lately, we’re so sorry that’s been going on. 

It sounds like it would be a great time to update the GP on how you’re going, especially since you’ve been having thoughts about suicide.   We’d also really recommend calling the Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636. The counsellors there are super kind and supportive, they’re understanding and can be good to talk to right in the midst of these feelings, or at any moment so that you can work out your next steps in getting more support together with them on the phone. You can also reach them via webchat 24/7. 

If you’re feeling suicidal or are having thoughts about harming yourself, it's important that you take immediate steps to keep safe. If you feel unable to keep yourself from acting on your thoughts about suicide or self-harm this is an emergency and you need to call 000 (triple zero).  

It also sounds like the Beyond Now suicide safety planning app may be a helpful resource to you. You can read about how it works and where to download it here: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/beyondnow-suicide-safety-planning . You can even call Lifeline (131114) and compete it together with one of their counsellors over the phone.

We hope that you find our forums to be a safe and supportive space to talk through your thoughts and feelings. Our community is here for you, and we’re sure they’ll spot your post soon enough and have some kind words and understanding for you.  

Kind regards, 

Sophie M 

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Matt

I feel for you so deeply as you struggle so much to find your way through what is so upsetting and depressing. Both lost and alone are 2 emotions that, especially when combined, can lead to such an incredible sense of despair and heartache.

As a 52yo gal who holds the ability to feel what can be so deeply depressing, I would say it is an almost cruel ability to have. It can lead to such overwhelming sufferance. I've found that while I'm in this state of feeling so deeply, often I simply can't see. I'm unable to conjure up a constructive vision of the future, including being able to see the way forward. I've come to manage such occasions by finding a seer (someone else who can see for me). This will often be someone who can see what I need to see most, become conscious of, and someone who can see step by step how I need to gradually move forward. Whether your seer comes in the form of a friend, a family member or someone you employ/pay to see for you (such as a counselor) etc, it sounds like this is what you need most right now, beside compassion and understanding.

Based on your struggles with anxiety, you sound like a seer yourself. To clearly see, in your mind, what is anxiety inducing becomes so deeply challenging, especially when that's all you can see. One of the things I've discovered about managing anxiety and depression is...unless someone can give me a constructive vision or revelation I can fully relate to I simply cannot see my way out of such states. So, what someone offers us has to be relatable. If we can't relate to what 99% of the world's population can relate to, doesn't mean there's anything wrong with us, just means we simply can't relate for one reason or another. Could be our belief systems that aren't serving us, we were raised in a way that doesn't allow us to relate, our internal chemistry is out of balance etc etc.

Matt, try and be compassionate toward yourself. This is the first time you've faced this challenge. You've never faced it before, in this form. This could explain why this feels like a whole new level of anxiety. What you're feeling may be one of the greatest challenges you've ever felt, requiring the greatest level of support and guidance.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi Matt, welcome to the forums.

Sad to read what you have been and are going through. I don't know what happened, and not asking either, and regardless a great chunk of your life is now gone. It also sounds like this has had a devastating effect on you. In my experience, when we feel low, or when I felt low, there was nobody I felt I could talk to. In your case it seems you have some friend and whether you can talk to them is another matter. That you had the courage to come here and talk about this take courage. I would be very interested to hear more of your story ...