FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Struggling to stay afloat

30mlHandSanitiser
Community Member

Hi BB,

I've struggled with clinical depression since I was a child (I'm now 20). Recently I've fallen into one of the worst depressive episodes of my life. I feel physically nauseated all of the time, and my brain feels completely numb. I have huge problems with motivation, doing small, basic things like brushing my teeth and having a shower are huge chores for me. I'm currently a student, but I'm incredibly behind on all of my work, because I cannot bring myself to do it.

I feel so low all of the time.  I know there are things to live for but I feel like I've been trying to climb out of this hole for years and I never get better. I'm medicated, but it's not helping. I've tried different medications and none of them helped either, some made me worse.

I know that even if I get better, I'm always going to be incredibly depressed, and everything I do is always going to be a huge undertaking.

I don't know what to do, where do I go from here?

Please help

3 Replies 3

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi 30mlHandSanitiser,

Wellcome to our forums.

Im sorry you are feeling this way I understand it would be difficult for you.

Have you thought about going to your gp and discussing how you are currently feeling?

Are you currently seeing a psychologist?

Hold onto hope because there is always hope that you will come out of this.

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear 30mlHandSanitiser,

A very warm and caring welcome to our forums...

I am sorry that your struggling so much with your depression..l

Many people listening to your words will probably relate to being unmotivated while struggling depression...I am one of those..you are not alone...

I’m wondering if you have a health officer at your university? , school?..that you could have a chat with in regards to how your struggling with depression and how your falling behind on your studies...

Please believe me that their is so much to live for...depression makes s think that there isn’t....but depression does lie to us...we need to have faith and believe in ourselves that we can get better...and many many people do...you can as well...it does get better..

Do you have any way that you ground yourself when depressive negative thoughts are running rampant in your thoughts....I listen to music, and sing along with it as well...play internet games...colouring....Distracting our thoughts..even for a short time..does give us a little break...someone told me that our brain as complexed as it is...can only think one thought at a time...the idea is when unhealthy thoughts start to take over your thoughts...to distract them onto something else....it is hard at first but does get easier the more we “practise” doing this...

There is a Grounding thread here..you can search for it in the search bar...”Grounding yourself, what is it and how do we”...their are lots of different ways that we can practice Grounding ourselves....

We are all for you dear 30mlHandSanitiser to try to support you the best we can....We are a very kind and caring community....

My kindest thoughts with my care..

Grandy..

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi 30mlHandSanitiser

I feel for you so deeply as you struggle so much with the truly horrible challenges that come with depression. So glad you're a part of this community. The warmest of welcomes to you.

A depressing challenge within already existing depression is definitely a double whammy. I've found these to be the toughest times in depression, the kind that really wear a person down while prompting the internal dialogue to become even worse.

Tiny bit of background, so you know where I'm coming from: I'm a 51yo gal who left 15 or so years of chronic depression behind me about 16 years ago. In the last 16 years, I've struggled with being on the brink of depression a number of times while also having found myself a little ways into it on occasion. The desperation to never return to long term depression is what's led me to manage life the way I do. Looking back, I'd say I have dozens of triggers for depression, therefor I have no choice but to come to recognise, understand and manage them.

While falling behind on your uni work is an obvious depressing trigger, I'm wondering if you've considered investigating less obvious ones. For example

A mind based one: With us being comprised of so many facets, such as 'The people pleaser', 'the analyst', 'the victim', 'the student' who thrives on gaining knowledge, 'The wonderer' who wonders about pretty much anything, 'the commander' who commands 'Get your s*** together!' and so many more, I think sometimes it becomes a matter of picking the dominating aspects that are in play. I think 'the critic' can be most brutal

Physical factors: The lacking chemistry/chemical reactions that can contribute to depression can also be brutal, such as with a lack of dopamine and serotonin. Iron, b12 and thyroid deficiency issues also don't help matters. Blood tests can help eliminate some of the usual suspects. Sleep deprivation issues, like sleep apnea, can be a suspect too

A natural factor: Being able to feel where we're at, at any given time can be both a gift and a curse. Being able to feel a depressing lack of energy, lack of positive chemistry, lack of inspiration from people, lack of solid direction/guidance/vision, lack of constructive internal dialogue etc can be like a form of torture at times

Sounds strange but if you're a natural born feeler and you've been challenged by a number of depressing factors throughout life, I imagine you would have felt every single one of them, whether you were aware of them or not.