FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

self harm is getting out of control

alexis123
Community Member
whenever i’m sad or anxious i self harm but at the moment i have been self harming for weeks on end and i don’t know how to break the habit, i’ve done every other trick under the sun to try and stop and all the other methods to try and stop but i cant, it’s like a release for me and my family doesn’t really care either nor do my friends, how do i stop this ?
3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Hi Alexis123,

We’re really glad you could come to the forum to share this with our community. We know it isn’t easy to share something like this, but we think it’s a powerful step and we really appreciate your openness and bravery in sharing.

We’ve reached out to you privately to make sure you’re ok. If you want to reach out to our counsellors to talk this through, we’re on 1300 22 4636, and you can reach us online here. There’s also our friends over at the Suicide Call Back service on 1300 659 467, or Lifeline on 13 11 14.

We wondered if you’d like to share some of the things that have helped you in the past? Maybe it’s calling a friend or a helpline, exercising, or using an app for mindfulness or distraction? Our lovely forum members have shared some of the things they do instead of harming themselves on a p...

We’d really recommend having a look at the Beyond Blue safety planning app. You can read about how it works and where to download it here. You can even call Lifeline and compete it with one of their counsellors over the phone if you'd like.

Please keep sharing your words on our forums. Many forum members may have experience with some of the challenges you mention and we think they will find great value in your kind and courageous words.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi alexis123,

Im sorry you are going through this.

Have you been able to speak to your gp about what you are currently going through?

You could do a mental health plan together this will enable you to see a psychologist.

Amelia02
Community Member

Alexis123 - go to the doctor asap. Really.

Take care, A