FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How are you guys keeping it together as everything is getting more and more expensive?

Jessksch
Community Member

I work from 7:30am to evening, and just seems like I can't do anything with the money I earn besides pay bills, buy groceries and rent an apartment. I just don't have the energy anymore to do anything or,money is still too tight.

I came home after a long day today and just broke down crying realizing how little time to myself I have until tomorrow is another day of work. I got a huge bill today and was told people living in our complex had an extreme rent increase too, so most likely we will also have that.

I am struggling and don't know how to cope anymore.

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

I dont pose to have all the answers but as I look outside the box, so to speak, I'll throw in some thoughts.

I certainly was in similar situations in my 20's (now 67yo). However I had at my disposal a home loan from the defence that I had years earlier. So that gave me opportunities to build a house. 

Certainly joining the defence services can benefit - home loan after qualifying time, high wages, choice of profession, friendship, cheap food and accommodation and travel. I wont go on abut it but its food for thought.

Other ideas is FIFO work, highly paid. If I was in my 20's now I'd buy a small motorhome/campervan like a Hiace Toyota and use it for transport but also pay someone to park in their backyard and only use their bathroom facilities (some small mobile homes have ensuites which is better. That way you automatically have your holiday machine, a home where ever you go... if you have a disagreement with the home owner- gone!! you can leave and reside in a free/cheap camping location until the next opportunity comes along. Even paying off the camper would be cheaper than rent.

A second job in the evenings? Move to a shared house? 

I'm out of ideas. I hope you feel better by the time you read this. The ebb and flow of life isnt easy

TonyWK