FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What should I do

BobbyOz
Community Member

Hello so I’m 22 and never had a job, I know the unemployment rate is 3% so I don’t understand why it’s so difficult for me. I applied for hundreds and got nothing back. I’m a virgin I know you’re supposed to lose it at 16 but I’m a nerd. I feel like my life isn’t worth living anymore. What should I do? 

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M
Hey BobbyOz,

Thank you for sharing this. We're sorry to hear you're dealing with these stressors, and feeling like your life isn't worth living anymore. That's a really difficult place to be in, but sharing here is a really good first step towards getting some help with this.

We would like to talk through these feelings with you, so a member of our team has reached out to you privately, we hope that's ok. If you'd prefer to reach out to us directly, we're always available on 1300 22 4636 or online here.

It's really important to get some support when having thoughts about not feeling like life is worth living for you, so it would be a good time to make that call to our team, or to update the GP on how you’re going. Another option would be ringing Lifeline (13 11 14) or the Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467), who can sit with you in these feelings and help you to plan for your safety.

For help with getting a job, we’d really recommend getting in touch with Headspace, as they have a Work and Study Support Program for anyone under 25. You can call them on 1800 810 794. If you would like to look them up first, there’s some information on that program here: https://headspace.org.au/services/work-and-study-support/

Our community is here for you, and we’re sure they’ll spot your post soon enough and have some kind words and understanding for you. Maybe in the meantime, you'd like to share a bit more about yourself, and about the challenges with work and relationships you mentioned? It's always worth sharing, as you never know who is reading and how they can relate to what you're going through.

Kind regards,

Sophie M

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello and welcome.

I'm really sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. I also want you to know that it takes courage to write about your struggles in a space, and that your worth isn't determined by your job status or personal experiences. It can be challenging to find a job, especially in a competitive market, but don't give up. Has anyone given you advice on your resume? I am just thinking out loud.

As for your personal life, everyone's journey is different, and there's no specific timeline for experiences like relationships. And there is absolutely nothing wrong in being a nerd - I'm one also. I also lost my virginity when I was older than you. At the same time, I can understand this would be stressful for you.

When you said that you were a nerd ... what does that exactly mean to you?

Lastly, and as far as a job is concerned, have you tried walking to shops and just asking if they have anything available? (Someone told me this trick recently and  ....)

If you want to tell me more about yourself I am listening.

Your life is worth living, and there are people who care and can help you through this.

sashamentalhealth
Community Member

Hi BobbyOZ 

thank you for sharing. in regards to the unemployment, i do not think you're alone in this. i myself and so many of my friends have applied to many jobs yet we have not heard anything in return. so trust me when i say you're not alone! what has helped me in this issue is reminding myself that everything comes at its time, and the option presented later on will be the best option for me. 

with regards to being sexually active, i understand why you feel the way you do as a big part of society is placing time lines for when things should happen in your life. however, much of this is dependent on the individual and there is within reason, no right or wrong time to experience things. i think being reminded that everything comes at its own time also applies here. one day you'll have an amazing job and someone you feel comfortable experiencing intimacy will come! 

i know this is not much, but reminding myself that everything comes at its own time has really helped me in accepting the things i can and cannot control.

i hope you feel better soon, and remember you're not alone 🙂