FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Am I just faking?

Darlingdontworry
Community Member

Hi, so this my first time asking for help in a while...I don't know if what I write will be triggering or not but I'll try my best to make sure its not.

I had been three years clean...I don't really remember how long its been. That was the first time it happened, but I started again a few day ago...how do I know if I actually need help or if I'm just doing this because I'm bored... I feel like I'm faking this because it'll happen but then I'm fine the rest of the day and I can't really explain this to my parents cause they're foreign to this stuff and don't understand. and lockdown isn't making things any better. its not like I want to do it but I would be sitting and next thing you know I am on autopilot and it just happens...idk

3 Replies 3

Sophie_M

Hi Darlingdon’tworry,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for your honest and open post. We can hear that you are having a really tough time at the moment, we want you to know that it is ok not to feel ok and that you have done an amazing thing by reaching out to us here on the forums. Thank you for being brave and reaching out for support, that is an incredible step towards feeling better.

We think that it would be worth giving us a call on 1300 22 4636 to talk through these thoughts and feelings. It can be scary, but out wonderful team can talk to you about strategies for when you are feeling low as well as talk about how you get other support in the community. You can also call our friends at Lifeline 13 11 14 or KidsHelpline 1800 55 1800.

If you prefer, there are also a number of webchat options if talking on the phone doesn’t work for you. They are not all 24/7 but you can check out these links if you want to try it that way:

Beyond Blue: https://online.beyondblue.org.au/WebModules/Chat/InitialInformation.aspx

KidsHelpline: https://www.kidshelpline.com.au/get-help/webchat-counselling

Lifeline: https://www.lifeline.org.au/get-help/online-services/crisis-chat

We also really recommend speaking to a GP about how you are feeling too. It can be hard to open up, but they are experts in helping people to feel as well as they can. Lockdown is a really tough time and opening up to a GP is a great way to build a plan for feeling better.

Thank you again for your post today, it is an amazing thing to have done. Please feel free to update us on how you are feeling, if you are comfortable, or jump in to some other conversations on the site.

Kind regards,
Sophie M

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Darlingdon’t worry,

Welcome to our forums!

well done for being 3 years clean! Sorry you started using again…….. I understand addiction can be a horrible thing to through for the user and their families…..

Have you thought about speaking to your gp?

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Darlingdon'tworry, and it's great to have you join us.

Being in lockdown can create many problems for anybody, especially if you've stopped an addiction because of boredom and being unable to move around can make you easily start once again but would really like for you to come back and tell us a bit more, so we're on the right track.

Many thanks.

Geoff.