FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What makes you smile?

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I would LOVE to read about what makes you smile. 

At a push you can share what makes you laugh too! 

Whatever circumstances have brought you to BB, many of us are dealing with MH concerns.
Sharing our healing journeys can be so amazingly helpful to others, it's priceless. 

Yesterday I felt JOY for the first time in a long long time. It happened while watching my grandchildren make huge bubbles at an Art Installation. Joy felt good but quite alien tbh. 
Today one of my children said she belly laughed for the first time in maybe a year, a funny thing happened at work. 

Depression, as with other MI's, sucks the joy out of us. Our goal could be to quieten these invaders by filling our lives with more joy. 

Please share what makes you smile. 

Love to you
EM

38 Replies 38

Alison_M
Community Member

Through all the heartache with my husband, my 3 pups have given me so much joy and give me a laugh all the time. They also seem to know when I'm at my saddest and depressed, they all come and give me cuddles and kisses. They nearly drown me with kisses literally as they are Bullmastiffs, I handraised them all and they think their my babies. Which they are to me as well.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Oh Alison WELL DONE YOU Venturing into other threads amidst what you're going through. 

WHAT RESILIENCE! 

Your puppies sound gorgeous! My rescue poodle is laying next to me for the pats and scratches on his tummy while I type lol. 
Aren't pets just the best? 

I had a chicken that would pop on my lap when I was crying my eyes out in the garden in the aftermath of similar to what you're going through. A bucket for the tissues next to me. She just KNEW when I needed a cuddle. 

You are strong and resilient. You will get through this. More power to you!

I SMILED When I saw a favourite cut of meat on sale at the shop around the corner. 
I bought TWO and they're marinating for dinner right now. 
Can't wait, SO YUM. 

Love EM

Alison_M
Community Member

Hi EM

Thank you for all of your support, you sound like such a lovely person. I hope this makes you smile!

Also soooo glad to hear you give a Possum fruit instead of bread! I handraise native animal's as well as puppies etc also paddock animal's (I've even handraised baby Cria, which are baby Alpaca's). I started training to handraise natives around 30 years ago, puppies, kittens, etc even longer and have been trying to educate people about our native animal's for as long. Most people seem to think bread is good for every animal but it's not. 

So please keep up the good work! I honestly don't think I'd be still alive if I didn't have animal's and have baby ones needing me regularly, it's something I'll never stop doing. I bottle fed my first orphaned animal when I was 5 years old, a newborn lamb! 

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Alison, it's so lovely to read more about you. You're a very dedicated animal lover, giving you a lifelong passion too. 

Our possums come to visit almost nightly. Last night Mama poss came and I saw her very fat belly. Sometimes the baby is on Mama's back. They take the pieces of fruit from my hand lol, one night I took too long so Mr poss walked along my lap and sat next to me waiting. Another night I was feeding a Mama poss and her baby reached out of her pouch and took some fruit! 
I learnt about not feeding animals bread or white sugar many years ago. I doubt white bread is good for humans either lol. 

We have fruit trees growing, they LOVE that lol. We have Lilly Pilly trees which helps feed them too. 

I only have rescue pets. 
I think I was about 5yo when we had an abandoned lamb to care for too. 

What makes me smile (and cry at times too) is watching families reunited with their biological families. 

EMxxxx 

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

What has made me smile today.... 

* realising I'm laughing so much more! For years I wasn't laughing, like I wasn't able to laugh. It's probably scaring my kids a little lol! Not really, it's nice. 

* seeing the positive side of life makes me smile. 

* having a day off work today is AWESOME and is making me happy today! 

I'm going in to make a YUMMY lunch for us all, that will make me smile too. 

Love EM

Alison_M
Community Member

I had a laugh today at the Tathra holidays caravan park advertisement on TV. Where they make out the dogs are talking about human's and finding love on holiday that their 2 legger friends took them on. Really is funny and lifts spirits. Especially after I had a bad fall 9 days ago and haven't had a good night's sleep in ages. Even though my 3 big dogs do manage to make me smile most days even if Husband doesn't! My youngest dog the other day was in a big muddy puddle, she was covered in mud and thought it was fantastic! The smile on her face was so big and the tail was wagging that fast I couldn't even tell her off. Reminded me of my son in the puddles of water when he was young.

Alison M

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

That's funny Alison. 

Today what made me smile was having a well timed hug of support from my daughter. It also made me cry but made me smile too. 

EMxxxx

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

It's making my heart so happy to read through this thread. Alison_M, pets can be such amazing sources of joy, it's wonderful how much your mood can change after spending a bit of time with them.

Beyond Blue makes me smile, reading through forums like these and seeing people helping each other and bonding over aspects of the human experience. 

In terms of my personal life, my ragdoll cats make me happy 🙂

SB

On The Road
Community Member

Some posts and some of the replies here made me smile 😊 

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Awww those are sweet messages sbella and OTR, I'm happy you're enjoying the posts here :-))))

I am too! 

What made me smile tonight was painting my new Buddha garden statue with colourful nail polish we no longer use lol. He looks so vibrant now in his resting position. 
I don't want to put him in my garden now, he might have to live on my balcony. 

EMxxxx