FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mindfulness: What Is It? (Even if you dont know please post so we can help grow the forums accordingly)

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everybody

This is only the basic dictionary definition...

"Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment without judgement"

• Please be as blunt you wish....If you dont have an idea about mindfulness it would be great if you could let us know
  • If mindfulness hasnt worked/or is too broad a concept for you it would great if you can let us know your thoughts too
  • If mindfulness has helped you, please help others to help themselves by posting how you have embraced this mindset

It goes without saying that the forums are a judgement free zone and I really hope that everyone can jump in and have their say

Your input is highly valued no matter how you respond to this topic. There are no experts here...New Posters are Most Welcome!!

My Kindest Thoughts

Paul

1,355 Replies 1,355

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi all

gavH Is awake the same as being aware or is it different.

For me it is the focus and concentration that helps me clear my mind.

i like to be observant as I can as well.

Hi everyone...New posters/members are always welcome to post too!

Hey Quirky....thankyou for mentioning 'focus and concentration' I havent looked up GavH's book yet

Just a thought....I prefer to be somewhat simple as it reduces óverthinking'

I hope everyone has a great weekend 😊

Balance
Community Member

Hi Everyone,

I just thought of a simple, but practical way of including Mindfulness in your life.

This approach is helpful, in case you need to stay at home more due to isolating.

Just image when you have to do a task, pretend this was your job.

Try to do it really well. THINK about what you are doing - and your focus

will be brought into the now, become the observer of yourself and the action ...

and at that very moment, you won't worry about tomorrow.

You can repeat this process as many times as you have tasks to

do in the day.

You could mentally break up your house or flat into "zones".

When you are about to begin your task, you could go to that particular zone

and do the task until you have finished. And then do the next task.

There are a few benefits with this approach:

1. With ease you are "doing" mindfulness because you have created a zone for doing

particular tasks.

2. You are more likely to finish your task, because you have created a focused zone

for each task. Finishing a task initself makes you feel good.

By the end of the day, you can feel good about yourself because you got lots of tasks

done and you will have lived "today" and not focused on tomorrow.

Warm regards,

B

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Balance

your posts are full of information and written clearly.

I as lifting up heavy baskets in the garden and carrying them a long way and I could not help but focus because of the heaviness and the pain.

Just my thoughts maybe the harder or more physical the task the more likely we are to focus on it.

Thanks so much for sharing this information as it is so helpful.

Hi. Newbie here so be kind!

For me, stress is when focus is given to the completed task before it has begun (as distinct from planning and contemplation which help to hone your thoughts).

Negative thoughts of "Once I have finished this..." or "If I can get this done, then..." either inhibit starting, or result in an unsatisfying outcome from inattentive execution of the task itself, or simply the inability to meet unrealistic expectations fabricated in the fiction of the mind (and further bloated by the passage of time).

Exams, career, even relationships, can be like that as they represent a gateway to advancement (or merely the perception of accomplished social norms) more than the integrity of their inherent content.

"In order to achieve, I must do..." is putting the cart before the horse.

"As I do, I will achieve..." will meet your objective and often surpass it.

Try it, next time you rake leaves or wash dishes, to test the theory.

Hi tranzcrybe and welcome. I like the way you think and what you wrote will likely apply to many here. You dont have to worry about people being (un)kind here - users here are supportive and non-judgemental of each other. We recognise that we can learn from each other. Looking forward to seeing you around the forums.

Hi Everyone and a wave to Quirky and Smallwolf ...(new posters are always welcome too!)

Hey Balance......you made a great point when you mentioned having daily task (as in a work focus) Thankyou for sharing your clear experience re mindfulness!

Hey transcribe...great to have you as part of the forum family and thankyou for your great post too! You mentioned many excellent points including....'stress is when focus is given to the completed task before it has begun' I hope you can stick around the forums when and if you choose to do so 🙂

Hey Smallwolf Tim....thankyou for your caring and accurate post

Tim mentioned to tranzcrybe 'You dont have to worry about people being (un)kind here - users here are supportive and non-judgemental of each other' Nice1 Tim

I hope everyone is having the best weekend they can

my kindest always....Paul

i was jsut reading your post tranzcribe and wanted to say a big YESSS and AMEN to all you just posted

very helpful post, thank you so much! hope you enjoy and find benefit here on the forums, warm welcome 👏👏👏

Hey Sleepy21

Ditto here...I hope tranzcrybe has the time to be a part of the forums....

Always great to read your wisdom and support Sleepy...and thankyou 🙂

Balance
Community Member

Hi Everybody,

It's time to form a new habit.

Focusing to live one day at a time can produce healthy thought patterns.

Living in the now, can prevent anxiety building up. Anxiety is often connected to a future event.

I use a simple diary to help me stay grounded.

At the beginning of the week I write all my important bits into my diary.

The diary shows one week over 2 pages.

Once I have done that, I go back and focus on the current day only.

I focus on that one day, write down all the things I want to do or have to do on that day.

Once I have done the tasks, I tick them off. This gives me a great sense of achievement.

So the humble diary is a tool I use to combat overwhelm and anxiety. This practise gives me

direction and a sense of having achieved something that day.

Then at the end of the week, you can pat yourself on the back for having done well.

However small the effort, they all add up.

Should you sometimes find it hard to start:

Action brings Action.

Warm regards

B