FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mindfulness: What Is It? (Even if you dont know please post so we can help grow the forums accordingly)

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Everybody

This is only the basic dictionary definition...

"Mindfulness is a state of active, open attention on the present. When you're mindful, you observe your thoughts and feelings from a distance without judging them good or bad. Instead of letting your life pass you by, mindfulness means living in the moment without judgement"

• Please be as blunt you wish....If you dont have an idea about mindfulness it would be great if you could let us know
  • If mindfulness hasnt worked/or is too broad a concept for you it would great if you can let us know your thoughts too
  • If mindfulness has helped you, please help others to help themselves by posting how you have embraced this mindset

It goes without saying that the forums are a judgement free zone and I really hope that everyone can jump in and have their say

Your input is highly valued no matter how you respond to this topic. There are no experts here...New Posters are Most Welcome!!

My Kindest Thoughts

Paul

1,355 Replies 1,355

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello all, was just wandering if anyone uses the Calm app, or any other apps for mindfulness?
I used to use Smiling Minds but have heard that Calm is good...

thanks to everyone for sharing their mindfulness strategies, so so helpful

Hey Sleepy21

I keep hearing how good 'Smiling Minds' is. Please let me know your thoughts on 'Calm ' if you try it 🙂

Sleepy mentioned "thanks to everyone for sharing their mindfulness strategies, so so helpful" Nice1 Sleepy21!

my kindest always

Paul

Hey Sleepy and

I use the Headspace app - can recommend it.

Jasjit
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone!!

Hope everyone is keeping safe from COVID-19.

So what is mindfulness?

Personally, mindfulness is something when we immerse ourselves in the task that we are currently doing or engaging in. We simply live in the moment. But we are also still aware of our surroundings.

Practical example? If I want to grow mangoes, I would completely immerse myself in the process of growing the mangoes. I wouldn't focus on the result, instead, I would focus on how can I improve my process. By this, unreal truly becomes real!!!

Hope that helps.

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Balance,

I like the trusty old diary as well. Paradoxically, it helps me to remove my thoughts by 'outsourcing' the job of remembering to the paper/book (- ah, the joys of the upper echelons of management!). Strangely, I find the app equivalents seem to pester me for action and this feels counterproductive.

Crossing off a chore by tick, line, or complete obliteration, is always most satisfying (something akin to popping bubblewrap) and, to avoid too much expectation, I use a 'forward arrow' for when I just say 'too bad, I'll do that tomorrow'. And consider the value of separate sheets - the added joy in scrunching the page or gleefully ripping it to shreds is not to be underestimated.

So how does this relate to topic? I think being kind to your mind - having an awareness and appreciation for what it must carry every single day, is demonstrating a certain mindfulness of your mind. Show it some attention; let it know that it's doing the best it can, and give it a break every now and then.

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi annie_1 and a wave to everyone

I love the Headspace app too... it was especially relaxing to my children in their recovery from trauma trying to sleep at night. I found it on the airplanes I was travelling on lol... a nice way to help travellers cope!

I tried the Smiling Minds app at the beginning of the covid stuff... it helped in the way I could 'monitor' my before and after mindset.. I think at the time I needed that type of thing to pull me away from the hype of everything going on inside my house and out.

Nowadays I am LOVING any and all meditations by Dr Joe Dispenza, they're available on YouTube for free... it's a beautiful thing when we find something that works for us as individuals!
IE a mind discipline practice that we can generalise to other times throughout our day.
I find I can move into the fields Dr Joe trains us to whenever I direct my mind to do so... when driving (no accidents yet but keeping data!) and when I'm doing any other tasks that I'm doing alone. Or with the dog, like taking him for a walk.

It's like the more challenging our situations are then the deeper the need for mindfulness.

The need for inner calm has never been more necessary than now. (Which leads us full circle but hey I'll leave it there lol)..

Love EM

Hi EM

That was enough of a recommendation that I’ll listen to Joe Dispenza later today. Thank you!!

I also find calmness from Petrea King - she has a Monday night meditation group accessed via her Quest for Life Foundation fb page. (you can listen any time, doesn’t have to be when it’s live)

🙂

Hello all

thanks EM and Annie for your recommendations. I will look them up.

it is nice when people explain how something works for them and shares it,

Hi Everyone...New posters and health professionals are always welcome too as mindfulness seems somewhat vague to some people with a mental health

Hey Annie_1...thankyou for recommending the Headspace App! Always great to read your helpful posts

Hey Jasjit....You mentioned 'mindfulness is something when we immerse ourselves in the task that we are currently doing or engaging in' ....Thankyou for sharing your experience with others and thus providing support too!

Im way behind on my follow-ups tranzcrybe....EM Thankyou heaps for contributing to the discussion with your valued life experience

my kindest always

Paul

Hello everyone,

Over the past few months I have been collecting old magazines and bits and pirces to do a collage. I kept puttit off then I decided to just do it.

I am not good at cutting with scissors, i have no artistic skills, no sense of space no sense of aesthetics but I just started cutting and pasting.

I noticed I was making chooses and not worrying about the comments my partner was suggesting. I stayed in the moment and refused to judge my work and just filled a paper with lots of colour and images.

Maybe not mindfulness but for someone like me whose brain never stops thinking, I was in the moment and kept cutting and pasting.

For a few moments I forgot all those teachers who said I was messy and couldn't cut properly, the teachers who said I had no artistic bone in my body and my family who laughed at my attempts to do anything that didn't involve words.

I am now thinking of my second one.

I wonder can anyone relate to this.