FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

It comes and goes in waves

_goldfish_:o
Community Member

Hey, so I am a fairly new poster here but have been living with mental illness for a few years. One thing that I find really hard is that a lot of my symptoms seem to come and go quite drastically. One week I'll be on top of the world and the next I'll be fighting off thoughts of SH. The 'hard periods' as I call them can last anywhere from a day to three months and don't happen at regular intervals either. I can also never identify anything that might trigger this when it happens. Does anyone else feel the same or have any advice? Or know why this happens? Or how to help/prevent it?

(I'm open to suggestions and apologise if I have written anything wrong in this post)

7 Replies 7

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey Goldfish,

Thank you for sharing your experience, and I warmly welcome you to our forums.

I understand what you mean about your symptoms coming on and leaving drastically, I experience this too. The other week I had what I can only really describe as a few days of being in a manic state after weeks of feeling really really low. Sometimes I feel so confident and great, and then other times I go through what you've labelled "hard periods". I think that's a fitting name for them. 

One thing that helps me when I'm feeling low are distractions. Engaging in hobbies, journalling, watching ASMR or relaxing YouTube videos really help me, because they allow my mind to consolidate difficult feelings and process my emotions. Do you have any hobbies that you like doing in your spare time?

Have you ever seen a psychologist or therapist? If you feel comfortable, you could also have a chat to your loved ones about your experiences, or consider having a consult with a therapist, counsellor, psychologist, or even your GP, to perhaps obtain some more professional advice about managing the "hard periods". 

I hope this helps, and feel free to chat with us some more. We're here to support you.

Take care, SB

Shansav
Community Member

Hi Goldfish,

WOW !!! These are my thoughts and feelings, it's like you have read my mind. You have taken the words out of my mouth! 

As to your question I do feel the same but as for advice, well I'm in the same boat sorry my friend, I'm to are searching for help, advice. As to why this happens, well I too am searching for this answer. I don't seem to have much for you but I think we may be able to help each other.

I am fairly new to all this as well I have been here in the past and made a couple of posts but back then I couldn't say or type what I was thinking or feeling. I have only recently been able to write down my thoughts and feelings. Do you do this? I think it's starting me on a pathway to better days.

Anyways I've had a day. Just getting over covid and had to have a "hard period" 😀 of a day.

Gonna leave it at that for now. Hope to hear from you.

Hey Shansav,

Thanks for the response, it's nice to know I'm not alone in this. Maybe we can gradually work on the problem and share any solutions we might find? An possible even support each other in the harder times.

P.S. I can also say that I did previously struggle to find the right words to explain what I was experiencing but I have gotten better at this and as you say it seems to help. 

Hey sbella02,

Thank you for your response, it's nice to know I'm not alone in this. I am in therapy but I just am always scared of raising red flags that might mean the therapist would take to my parents. I love my parents but most of the time their response in that kind of situation is not ideal. Thank you for the support and maybe this discussion could provide some support for everyone when they are going through those hard periods 🙂

nskye
Community Member

Hi Goldfish,

I came across your post about your experience, and I think it is courageous and admiring of you to be aware of how you have been feeling and looking for changes. I have been in a pretty similar place as you. Honestly, as much as I have tried many different ways (including seeing a therapist), I still have days when I wake up feeling so great and the next day feeling extremely anxious and confused. It was frustrating to have these 'hard periods' when I wasn't sure if there was any particular reason for making me feel the way I do. 

Something I have been finding very helpful for myself is journaling and keeping track of my mood. I use a mood tracker app on my phone called Tangerine (it is super easy to use and navigate - you can find similar apps to download for free if you browse around in the app store). I find it helpful to write my thoughts and feelings so I can look back at the end of the week or month of my progress. I understand when you say that you would be scared that your therapist would be raising an issue with your parents but personally, I would let my therapist know about how I feel as honest as I could because I believe that's how my therapist could find the right way to help me to feel better. Perhaps you can also let your therapist know how you think about your parent's response sometimes. 

I hope my share of thoughts helps, but hang in there, Goldfish! Please feel free to reach out if you ever need support. It is what we're all here for 💙

Stay safe, 

Hey nanaskye,

Thankyou for your reply and suggestions I'll definitely give that app a go. Your probably right about being completely honest with my therapist but it can be scary yk? And it's really comforting to know that there's other people who feel the same way as me. Once again thankyou so much 🙂

Hey hey Goldfish, 

You're most welcome, and I understand it can be pretty uncomfortable (I was the same way as you when I first went to see my therapist). Still, eventually, I realised it wasn't 100% helping me because there were parts I was afraid to open up for a similar reason as yours. It depends on you at the end of the day, so don't push yourself if you don't feel like doing it, but perhaps give it a think and see how you go. 

Have a great start to the week, and feel free to chat with me anytime 😄