FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

walking it out

alym20
Community Member

Hi all!

One thing that instantly boosts my mood when feeling stressed or down is simply going for a walk.

It can be challenging sometimes, especially in winter, to get myself out of my room but I know that as soon as I step outside for a walk I will return feeling better. 

Let me know if you enjoy walks too or have another favourite activity that makes you feel a little better!

7 Replies 7

livi_mivi
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey Alym20, 

Thank you for sharing and good on you for pushing yourself through the winter time too, I can totally relate to that struggle! I would have to agree with you that walking is such a mood booster! I find that when I have a million thoughts on my mind, I often need to pace around and think through them all so walking personally helps me with that! I also love having a night time routine. I used to hate going to bed but I have this new routine and room set up that makes me look forward to getting into bed. I personally like to minimise bright lights before bed so I turn on my sunset lamp before I start my night routine so when I go into my room afterwards, it signals that it's time for sleep. My sleep has been so much better just purely for the fact that it's encouraging me to get to bed earlier! 

alym20
Community Member

Thank you for replying!

I definitely need to work on my sleep schedule and agree that a good bed time routine is key.

Willow Jude
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Alym20, thanks for your post!

It’s awesome to hear how beneficial you find going for walks to be. I can definitely relate to feeling better after a walk, even when you really had to push yourself to get out in the first place!

I spent quite some time rejecting the notion that exercise could help with mental ill-health (as I feel it can often be touted as a ‘cure-all’ by people who don’t necessarily understand the complexity/potential intensity of mental illness), but I surprised myself and found that going on walks did truly help me feel better, even if it was just a small improvement that then put me in a better headspace to tackle the bigger problems. I have been thinking recently that it’s been a while since I’ve pushed through my reluctance and gone for a walk, so maybe this post is the motivation I need! 

Another thing that I find helps to improve my mood is listening to music. When I feel that things are overwhelming, music helps to take my mind off them, and I come away feeling a little calmer. 

- WJ

Hey Willow Jude,

Thank you for your reply.

Hope this post did give you some motivation to go for a walk.

You are absolutely right that sometimes it just helps to clear the mind so you can tackle the bigger stuff.

Music is definitely another mood booster for me as well😊

Willow Jude
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Thanks Alym20,

It certainly did - I ended up going for a walk this morning! Your post was a great motivator. 

I'm glad to hear you enjoy listening to music as well 🙂 

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hey Alym20,

I love going on walks around my neighbourhood. I remember back in lockdown I'd go outside on "mandatory walks" with Mum and it became a routine thing for a while. 

I love listening to music. I've often said, music is a kind of therapy for me. Writing it, playing it, listening to it. 

SB

Bob_22
Community Member

Walking is great! My doctor tells me to do at least 30mins of walking three times a week. He always tells me that aerobic exercise is proven to be one of the most effective treatments for depression haha. Music and other creative pursuits which stimulate the mind are great as well!