FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Inexpensive recovery idea - camping

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

My wife and I wanted to attend a country dog show held last Sunday and located half way between Ballarat and Geelong...about 90 minutes drive from Melbourne.

We are lucky as we have a fully equipped camper trailer. But I do recall many years ago when single I camped in a tent.

Last Saturday night we used a free camping guide, a book that lists all free camping spots in Australia. We found a great spot in the hills, alone and free. The birds singing was so good we woke up early at 5am to hear them, cook our eggs and bacon and ....RELAX. There is something about camping more so than ever because social media has drowned many of us and taken us away from the basics of living. Some of us need to get back to nature even for a short time...even overnight.

So what is required for a basic camping adventure? Assuming you have a car although I've seen some people camp with motorcycles and push bikes or just a backpack if you are ultra fit.

Free camping spots book $50, two person tent $30, blow up mattress with pump $60, sleeping bag- no- take your doona, pillow- take your pillow, one burner stove with butane gas pressure packs $30 + $7 for 4 cans of gas, kettle, water container 20L, fry pan, cutlery, bucket for dishes etc.

In the scheme of things it is cheap entertainment. One of the best accessories has been a solar powered light on a baseball cap for $30, where ever you look there is light. Keep it on your cars rear parcel shelf to charge. Shower? Shower tents are fold up for $45. 12 volt shower pump $15- just boil your kettle and add to cold water in the bucket = great shower. You can get a porta potti for $100 and place it in the shower tent.

Want to move up to a camper trailer? Only have a 4 cylinder car?  Search for motorcycle campers. They are smaller and lighter to tow but most still have a queen size bed. Add a trunk on the drawbar and you can add a fridge. Mount a dry cell battery under the camper floor wired up to charge by your towing vehicle. Motorcycle campers start at around $7000.

Which ever way you do it - just do it funds permitting. It really is recharging your batteries. It can help you recover from a down period. It can contribute towards your relationships.

Dont forget to take a book. Something soulful, comforting and educational.  We have a book of Australian birds and we try to identify them. Take a telescope for the stars. Once I found Saturn in the night sky and I could just see its rings- amazing.

Your mind needs rest. Camping is good.

26 Replies 26

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Tony

Thanks for yet another great post.  I have only ever camped once in my life with hubby and another couple about 2 yrs ago.  We went to a spot near Wilsons Prom which was a free camping spot.  We arrived at 10pm unpacked, set up tent. Waking up the next morning to hear birds and open the tent to see an amazing sea, hearing the waves OMG it was beautiful. To just sit and relax, we did lots of walking and just sitting, drinking and eating!! We have now bought all equipment for camping but haven't gone again. But I want to go more often especially now as i will be working full time, so i will have to push hubby and just go. Actually friends of ours are camping on the foreshore over January/Feb with their caravan and have asked us if we want to share the spot with our tent. I think I will take that offer up for a weekend. Imagine just unzipping your tent and a few steps and you're in the beautiful water.

Sometimes doing little simple things in life are the best for recovery and to recharge our batteries. You come home feeling so fresh and alive.

That's it, I'm going to buy that camping book and circle some spots. Thanks Tony.

Jo

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Jo.

Ask your hubby if he wants to go camping.

Regardless of his answer....start packing on a Friday night or Saturday morning and he likely will tag along. If not still go camping.

Tony

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
You've sold me, Tony! And that takes some doing. The only memories I have of camp are horrible school experiences where bullying took place, and it has unfortunately coloured camping for me throughout my adult life and I've never done it. I think I might be too scared to do it on my own though.

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi JessF

The book used is CAMPS Australia Wide. It is up to the 6th edition now

You wont find a grey nomad without one. The beauty of this book is , you find a spot and it has on the side of the entry if it has water, is near a road, has trees, dogs allowed, mobile phone coverage, a fee involved, showers and toilets etc.  and most times there is only grey nomads there during the week and not on school holidays. People often wander by to say hello.

Try it Jess.  you wont regret it.

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi WK

Just rediscovered this thread.  Thank you for the great tips - I'll be making use of them very soon as I commence my (solo) road trip.  

What do you think of the rooftop tents - more expensive than normal ones but seem practical. That way I can first more of the other accessories in the car (including my dog!).  I was toying with this or getting a cheap camper trailer, but not sure if I like the idea of towing something all the time.  

Rather than spending money on shower tent, I thought I could use camping ground facilities and similar. 

Anyway, just a quick thanks.

K

Beltane
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Ha Hideaway, you and I are so similar. I dream of going on a camping road trip. My actual life dream is to go around australia in a caravan. I also want to camp my way around Europe. I basically want to explore the world. But I want someone to do it with- that special person I hope. But you kooky issues with that at the current moment.

if you have a smart phone, check out the camping apps.

Wikicamps is a good one, it has pretry much every campsite ever, include ratings, reviews, facilities, cost. 

I love over love love camping, there's something so amazing about getting back to nature. I've often thought of pimping out a van with a mattress or getting a ute wiith one of those camper trailers. The only reason I'd lean more towards a caravan is for two reasons: it has a toilet (yeah I'm a girl, you know how we are with wanting toilets lol) and it just makes me feel safer, it has actual walls, a door that locks. 

I want to want to do these trips with someone- you know a lover person- to share the sights and experiences, to be able to see a beautiful view and turn to the person you love and say, are you seeing this?

I was in Scouts for a long time, I know alllllllll about the amazing world of camping, but I too know it's annoyances, like wet tents. I'm not bothered by bush toilets (eg a handy tree) except at night when, as you know, the boogeyman comes out 😛 hahaha  

Boy out I wish I could go on a camping journey, hell even a weekend away camping would be amazing. Especially on a nice night when we can lie out of the grass and look at a clear sky full of stars, unhindered by city light pollution. Can't you just imagine it

please tell me all about your camping trip,  mostly so I can sit here ridiculously jealous but living through you 😛 bahaha 

Go down to your local Kathmandu or Aussie Disposals, there's plenty of books about free camping sites, campin recipes, nice maps.

i know because I've been collecting them, just waiting for the chance- Someone to go "hey, come explore the world with me". I even have the tent, the sleeping bag.. I don't know why I buy camping stuff when I have no one to go camping with but,,, I do because I love it.

Hi .

Rooftop tents are great. I recently saw a Hyundai Getz with one and they are a small 4 cylinder car. If you are frail or older it is a risk as you have to climb a ladder. The best idea with these is to buy a trailer, have bars about one metre above the trailer for the raised roofyop tent. Then use the trailer cargo area for all your "stuff". And leave the car interior for hourly stuff like fridge and food. It remains cheap and you can always sell a trailer. Even a tradesmans trailer is ideal as long as it isnt heavy.

You'd be amazed the things you accumilate and need on your trips. And dont forget, a toilet close to your bed is a must. Another reason for a shower tent. Camping grounds often dont have toilets and showers. Have your own or you'll regret it..

Tony WK

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Beltane!  I hope you are well.

Thanks for your post, I enjoyed reading it and dreaming a little as I did, although  I will no doubt be sharing my experiences with my furry friend.  Of course it would be nicer to do it with someone you love - but 'what will be will be'. Time out is probably good at this stage for me.

Thanks for the App tip - I will check it out.  I have collected a few books on camping sites.  There was a good one for sale at the newsagent but pretty pricey - I will think about it.  You are lucky to have camping gear already - well ahead of me. I am going to try and do it as cheap as possible. 

And yes, I will certainly tell you a bit more about the camping trip and it takes more shape in the next few weeks and once it commences. 

Look forward to talking more,

Stay well

K

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi WK and thanks for your reply - I appreciate it.

I like your idea of a basics trailer and attaching the rooftop tent on that - thanks for that tip.  And same about the toilet, might just have to reconsider that and see what is available on the market (or maybe rig one up myself).  I think Aussie Disposals should sell those old army style canvas shower bags.

I get what you say about these tents being on the roof of the car not being such a good idea if you are old and fragile!  I am still quite fit and agile, so I don't think it would be an issue but I do worry how I would go if I would be tempted to have a drink or two by the campsite and then try and clamber up!!  I would be funny to watch.  But more importantly, my furry friend would have trouble getting up.

Thank you again.

K