FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I know exercise is good for me and I want to get started but I just can't...

Steven1
Community Member

Hi everyone, I am new to the forums and need some help getting started with exercise.

I currently do NOTHING physical and my job is also sedentary. I really want to exercise for my health and for my depression. There are a few things holding me back but the one I am really struggling with is being self conscious and worrying people will laugh at me. I have a FREE GYM at work but have only used it once in over 3 years due to being self conscious.

I am very thin (people make comments about my weight a lot) and I am worried that if people at work see me in gym clothes they are going to laugh at my skinny legs, lack of muscle and question why am I there. I also know nothing about weights or fitness and don't know how to use gym equipment. I work in a male dominated, fairly macho environment so there isn't a lot of support or help with getting started!

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated 🙂

26 Replies 26

Pixie15
Community Member

Hi Steven1,

A lot of gyms will have promotional deals where they will offer a trial period at a reduced rate and a meeting with a trainer to sort out a program of exercises and show you how to use the machines safely. I am surprised that your free gym at work does not have someone to do this.

Gyms can be pretty competitive places. I tried a ladies only gym recently and it was just the same. Not sure what to do about the teasing maybe some of the men on the site can help you with that. I am inclined to think that the more you exercise and feel stronger the less it will worry you.

I find having a goal helps me exercise. I getting back into running and have signed up for a fun run later in the year to help me keep motivated. 

My partner has a dog who likes to walk and will hassle him if he does not go out for the daily walk. Walking is really good exercise.

There are a lot of options and the main thing I think is find something you think you will enjoy. Exercise does not have to be a chore.

Grateful.

Beltane
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Why don't you think outside the box? If your gym at work is full of macho men who make you feel bad- go somewhere else.

i do Crossfit and the teamwork ethic there is huge. Some boxes (that's what we call gyms) are reallly geared for competition so you might not like that, where as others are full of all kinds. My box is great, it's full of all kinds- obese people, skinny people. We work out together- so we all start at the same time eg 6.30 pm. The first people who finish cheer on the ones still going, and we all high five and celebrate finishing.

no one judges cos we've all been there- there's a real culture of cheering on everyone and celebrating each others achievements. I just started and while I'm healthy and skinny, I'm unfit as all get-out. In my box there are people who run 42km marathons and lift weights of 200-300kgs. And yet they cheer me on and celebrate when I ran my first 500m without stopping, and lifted a weight of 77kg. I'm only a 60kg girl and I just started not long ago!!

the culture of team work and respect and friendship is better than I've found at any gym, and Im seeing massive improvements in how I feel, how I look, what I can do. And i only started this year- I go 4 days a week and the first day I showed up, everyone greeted me and introduced themselves. When they see me struggling through they cheer me on "keep going, you can do it". 

so tes, I love love cross fit- I feel so accepted and have so many new friends. 

If if crossfit isn't your style, you could try something else. A sporting team, the local footy club, running, bike riding. If you want muscle, weight lifting is good.

thats why I love Crossfit- or has everything, and it's a different thing everyday. Ring your local box and ask if they do a free trial class- most of them do. 

Trust me, I have anxiety too. But I feel like one of the gang there already. people congratulate you on the hard effort you make- not how heavy you lift or how fast you run. They just want to see you giving it 100%, whether you're obese, skinny, old, young. Give it your all and they'll love you

Beltane
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Apologies for double post- each Crossfit session is fun by a coach who teaches you how to do everything- how to properly and safely use each weight, each exercise- everything.

if you do Crossfit, ensure you ask if they are a proper Crossfit affiliate box. There are a lot of gyms going around saying they do "Xfit". They don't always have the training or qualifications of coaches at a proper Crossfit affiliate box. If you ask, they have to tell you 

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi there Stephen

Mate, well done to you on coming here and providing your post and I’d also like to throw out a warm welcome to you to Beyond Blue.

You’ve already received a couple of great responses, with excellent comments about gyms and other kinds of exercise – the crossfit option is also a good one;   a new kind of fitness trend that is sweeping a lot of places – but also yep, walking, running or even cycling is/are all excellent for fitness.   But if it’s the gym you’re after, then here’s some suggestions.  I go to my local gym 5-6 times per week – and there’s all-sorts there and I’ve been there for 5 years now and I’ve never come across any hint of nastiness from anyone.   In fact, if that were to happen, that person would be given their marching orders quick smart.   I could be wrong, but a lot of the ‘old school’ gyms where the big beef cakes used to work out are a thing of the past.  I hope so anyway.

But back to you.  Ok, so you’ve got a gym at your work – awesome.  But how to use the equipment and how to avoid being looked down upon by the ‘macho guys’?   Skinny legs and diverting attention from those – wear trackie pants.   I just cannot do that personally as I feel too constricted, hot and then become extremely sweaty;  so shorts for me;   but you’d be surprised at how many people you see wearing trackie pants.  Some for a comfort thing and some possibly because of the lack of leg muscle development.

With the guys that use the work gym – do you know any of them??   If yes, then AWESOME.   Go along and have a chat and tell them that you’re wanting to get started in the gym and if they’d be able to show you how the equipment works and if they’re able to suggest any tips or advice for you.  The main thing with starting out is making sure you know how to use the machine properly and that you complete the exercise in the proper form;  bad form when lifting weight can lead to injury.

But if you’re able to afford a gym membership – firstly I’d go with either a number of visits or say a month by month plan.  Just to see if you like it, etc.   But also at a gym, there’ll be staff who will be able to assist with how machines work and advice for how to use it;  and hopefully they’ll be able to draw you up a bit of a program to follow as well.

Would love to hear back from you.

Neil

Hello Stephen

I thought I would weigh-in with a suggestion. I do agree with Neil about wearing track pants. Such a clever disguise and so acceptable.

Anyway, what about joining a Pilates class? Now I know most people think they are for women but there are a number of men training at the gym I use. (I hasten to add I don't do Pilates). I go to an exercise class run by an Exercise Physiologist where each person's exercises are individual, dictated by the needs of that person. As each person improves the exercises are changed to add more challenge. My classes are held at a physiotherapy centre so after the exercise you can get physio to repair the damage (smile).

Think about Pilates. It is a core strength program and really gets you moving well so that walking, running etc is more beneficial.

Mary

Steven1
Community Member

Hey everyone thankyou for all of your replies and support. Neil your post was very helpful - thanks heaps. And as simple as a suggestion as it is - I honestly never thought about wearing trackies to the gym! I will definitely try that despite it being summer.

I am probably underestimating how supportive people at work actually are. Being a bit anxious and depressed I think I catastrophise and over react a bit. Yeah I actually have just struck up a bit of a friendship with a guy at work who uses the gym so I might go with him.

Having a free gym to use at work and not a lot of spare money, I can't justify paying to use one. Will try and get myself psyched up to go next week and see how it goes!! Once again, thanks to all for your posts 🙂

Beltane
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey, here's a sneaky idea. If you gym doesn't have any trainers to show you how to use the equipment, a lot of other gyms offer 7 day free trials. You could go to one of those, get the trainers to show you how to use the equipment you want to use, then you'll know ho to do it when you go back to your work gym! Sneaky!

also, there are just SO many websites where you could find information, advice and ideas on how you should eat to achieve what you want (like if you want to build muscle, you'd want to get lots of protein). Also those websites can give you workout ideas- you don't want to go in and do the same thing everyday cow the mucles just don't like that. Change it up- work on your legs one day, abs the next, arms the next. Better still, do a bit of both every day but Change the moments- so one day you might do body weight stuff like burpees, push-ups, sit ups. Another day you might do lots of running on the treadmill and lift some weights.

you could go to the newsagent and buy some fitness magazines- they're often full of awesome advice.

there are even  heaps of iPhone apps! (Or whatever smartphone you have)! There are lots that'll give you "easy", "intermediate" and "advanced" workout plans, you should have a look in your smartphone App Store and find something you like the look of. Some of the better ones will give you videos showing you how to use the equipment and do the movements safely.

thes the key- you can just go and lift a heavy weight. You need to know how to stand, how to set up your back, how to use your core muscles- otherwise you'll get hurt, besides, the better your technique is, the more weight you can lift. So videos on YouTube, good smartphone apps and good magazines will show you all that info, if there are no trainers at your gym

how exciting! I love going to my gym (box). I love lifting heavy weights that I couldn't have even dreamed of lifting even a few months ago. The other day I rang further than I ever have before and it was an amazing feeling for someone who is really bad at running! It fills you with good exercise endorphins, and it makes you feel proud of yourself- for what your body can do, and yes- even how it looks!

make sure you eat right too to get the most out of exercise- yoh can't eat junk food and exercise, it won't work!

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi there Steven

And my apologies, I think I named Steven with a ph last time and my apologies for that.

Great to hear that you’ve got a mate who uses the gym – this is a very good starting point.  I’ll assume that he’s got the inside knowledge of how to use all equipment and do the exercises properly.

Another thing to be careful with is (as Beltane mentions) is the form that you lift the weight with AND how heavy the weight that you lift.  My very strong recommendation to you would be attack all exercises with weights being very low.  This allows you to get the right understanding of how the machine or exercise is to be performed PLUS with the added bonus that because it’s a light weight you won’t be at any risk of injury – just in case your early attempts at doing it aren’t quite right.

And you know what, those magazines that newsagents sell (also reference to Beltane’s post) can be beneficial.  I find them actually a bit of a motivation for me and helpful in trying different exercises for different body parts.  But motivation can be a good thing, especially when you’re needing that “push” from somewhere;  flicking through one of those might be something that works for you.

Cheers, and do keep posting if you’re able … would really like to hear how you progress with this.

Neil

Turtle1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I have found I need exercise to help make me feel good or depression takes hold.  The only exercise I do is walk. so this year I set myself a goal of walking at least an hour a day, no less.  So far I have managed to keep to it, sometimes I have walked longer. So maybe you could set yourself an achievable goal.  Maybe go to your work gym or a gym if that's what you want to do once or twice a week or find something that interests you.  there are lots of public places that you could go also like to the park, there are parks that have a wall for tennis if you wanted to do something on your own and not feel so self conscious.  Good luck