FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Unrealistic Job Requirements

Eternal_Happiness
Community Member

I am sure I am not the only one that has noticed this but employers setting unrealistic requirements for jobs these days and intentionally cutting out competition by doing so. They also don't pay very much either for the amount of qualification they require. It seems that there is a culture now to demotivate everyone and force everyone to stay within their bubble. They have requirements for software you have never heard of because they use proprietary software but also require you to have 5-10 years of experience for an entry role. How stupid is this?

Most of these employers won't provide a pay rise either. I like I stay truthful and honest when I apply, but I don't meet certain requirements for a job. Unfortunately, even if I finish my degree, I am not sure if such a qualification will be relevant in 5 years when artificial Intelligence enters our shores.

Even when I look into blockchain, they require you to have experience as far back as 2008 when it first started. Anyone have any pointers on anyone that wants a career change? I don't want to continue doing accounting crap because the field will vanish in 10 years.

5 Replies 5

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Welcome to the forum and thanks for this interesting thread.

I can sense your frustration with trying to change your career,

That age old catch 22, that you need experience before you get the job, but you need a job to gain the experience.

it is difficult but is there anyway you can gain experience by volunteering in the new area you want to change .

i was lucky that I could started my own business as I found it so difficult working for others.

Quirky

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Eternal Happiness

I understand where you are coming from. The career specs are usually 'overstated' as per any human resources department does.

If I may suggest using your people skills (and your qualifications as a foundation on your resume) as a tool to seek the career you desire. I have lost count of the people I know personally that dont have the confidence to post anything here on the forums...

You have that confidence.....and good you Eternal H

Can I ask you what you want to do for a living.....if you had a choice?

my kind thoughts

Paul

quirkywords said:

Welcome to the forum and thanks for this interesting thread.

I can sense your frustration with trying to change your career,

That age old catch 22, that you need experience before you get the job, but you need a job to gain the experience.

it is difficult but is there anyway you can gain experience by volunteering in the new area you want to change .

i was lucky that I could started my own business as I found it so difficult working for others.

Quirky

I did try to find my own footings but I am so heartbroken, that my brain is lost and doesn't know where to go. I don't want the idea of money but these corporations have lobbied so hard that it now has become a necessity otherwise, you'll perish. What kind of a sick world is that?

When I go to work, it feels like a slavery. I need independence because there is no way the government or anyone else will come to my aid when I need it.It seems that the system we are in designed to be unfair on purpose.

blondguy said:

Hello Eternal Happiness

I understand where you are coming from. The career specs are usually 'overstated' as per any human resources department does.

If I may suggest using your people skills (and your qualifications as a foundation on your resume) as a tool to seek the career you desire. I have lost count of the people I know personally that dont have the confidence to post anything here on the forums...

You have that confidence.....and good you Eternal H

Can I ask you what you want to do for a living.....if you had a choice?

my kind thoughts

Paul

I am currently unemployed but have been trying to find work.Though again, it feels like slavery. I have always enjoyed the outdoors/going to the gym but my crippling body, I am finding it hard to find a footing of where I want to go. The office environment feels like a jail cell to me. It's creepy and weird and you are told to take breaks on certain times has caused a whole bunch of mental issues plus speaking like a robot on the phone to customers is always fun - not.

I honestly don't know what I want to do with my life. There are a lot of things I love doing but when I see money as being the motivator, it doesn't feel natural. I go this is just money which loses its purchasing power every year, so you are forced to cut back. I want to help people and bring happiness to others. This is what's lacking today.

Hi Eternal Happiness

I did try to find my own footings but I am so heartbroken, that my brain is lost and doesn't know where to go. I don't want the idea of money but these corporations have lobbied so hard that it now has become a necessity otherwise, you'll perish. What kind of a sick world is that?

So sorry to hear you are heartbroken EH. Yes, money is needed in this world. It has for some time now. My thoughts are things will change in the future. Doesn't help you now though does it?

What sorts of things do you like doing?

Kind regards

PamelaR