FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

having a family function

car10001
Community Member

hi

was wondering to keep in mind what the clues are that it might be time for your own place and what you can do to hang on until you can buy your own and not pay comparable money in rent, will give a story below.

one aunty always has xmas her house as shes got a entertaining area out back and the place am living at doesnt and not only that youre also at a stage where youre wanting your own space to entertain people when you want and to have privacy and isolating separate and just having your own space.

been wanting to have a xmas function for dont know how long and cant because dont have own entertaining area yet and could be years away from getting that.

only thing that am able to do probably is accomodation places and be able to have the space to yourself to have people over or camp sites and use camp kitchen.

if you used the camp kitchen or a cabin on xmas or australia day how would you be able to secure a space in the camp kitchen without others taking it even if other people are in it using the other tables and spaces.

just want somewhere to do it and feel like that its never going to happen and will never be able to run a xmas until you get your own house and waiting until am able to buy unless you can get around it until it happens.

theres been some things that have happened and its pushed me to do something.

if you were to use a camp kitchen is it going to be a problem securing a table and a kitchen area even if other people are using the other cookers and other tables and with old people walking to toilet block as depending on park you dont know how far apart they are.

if anyones able to help with answers that would be great.

thanks

4 Replies 4

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Car10001~

I'm afraid you have already anticipated the drawbacks of a camp kitchen, after all Christmas day is going to be very popular with many having the same idea and as a result facilities will be in use to the max.

My rellies tried it one year, and it did not work that well, there was a queue for the facilities, all the best places with a bit of shade were taken and too few chairs.

Other years we have been at restaurants with a pre-booking, though likely to have as many seats and tables jammed in as possible and noisy with it. Plus difficult to move around and talk to all the people you wish. The other major downside is the cost (unless everyone pays their own way which can work even if a couple 'forget')

I found when living in a small place the best I could do was to go to the major family dinner elswhere, perhaps with that auntie you mentioned, but also in the preceding weeks have a couple or three people over for a quiet meal. You can do this several times until yoou have caught up with all the people you wanted.

You get the best of both worlds that way, personal contact without it becoming impossible (or too expensive). I think most of the people I invited enjoyed the experience (and the washing up:).

What do you think?

Croix

car10001
Community Member
what about booking a larger cabin atleast then the space is yours while you stay there

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Car10001~

I'm afraid I was judging your resources by the size of mine:)

If you have sufficient utensils, chairs and all the rest then in a not too distant area sounds good. Do you have to make provision for kids too?

Croix

car10001
Community Member

hi

might as well ask here rather than start another post.

was wondering what to do about a proper shed on a different property other than the local mens shed without the expense of living by yourself before you are financially ready or trying to take a big loan on before you have a certain amount saved for a deposit.

wondering because the primary residence doesnt have a big enough yard with enough sheds and the grandparents wont be around or be at same house forever and some weeks theres not enough time at the local mens shed or there is the uncertainty of being called into your work.

there doesnt seem to be much around unless you buy a place and dont have enough for a deposit yet.

what other options are there.

just trying to do the best with what have got until something happens.

just needing someone to talk to