FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Working with anxiety

Thefeels
Community Member

Hello everyone,

Long time reader.

Im not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes.

i need and want to get a job but my anxiety always gets in the way. Over the last 12 months i have started and left 3 jobs (full time and casual) because i get exrreme axniety and panic attacks and not able to get through the day due to physical sickness from the anxiety.

I would like something just around 4 or 5 hours a day a couple of days a week (im also at uni) to feel like im actually contributing to society and not have parents support me at 28 yrs old.

I had it all, house the car the clothes (doesnt mean anything to me now) holidays but left an extremely stressful corporate job in 2019 sold everything and can no longer handle responsibility or stress, my mind goes wild, for example working in a call centre im scared of saying the wrong thing, making coffees im scared ill burn someones tongue, i love baking but what if someone gets food poisioning. id love to work in mental health but what if i say the wrong thing and trigger someone, i tried an online business but im so scared that something will go wrong - see how the mind races.

I know i have lots to work on..i try to calm these thoughts but i need a job. for now ive figured i cant handle more than 4-5 hours at a time.

Oh and Im also worried about burning out my references...

When i search casual jobs, they always say casual but full time hours! Grr.

I feel useless, lost confidence in my abilities and embarassed that ive left 3 jobs in 12 months when i know im a great worker - well i was.

Does anyone have any tips for where to look/what their experience is / have you struggled the same way?

thanks so much for reading and sorry for the super long post 😊

6 Replies 6

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Thefeels,

Thank you for sharing how you've been feeling.

I can relate to your experience of finding it hard to work due to anxiety. In 2020, I started a new job and spent the whole morning before my first shift crying. I was relieved to leave the job 3 months later. Since then, I have found a new job where I feel much more comfortable. Part of feeling more comfortable has been that I have recently begun seeing a psychologist. It's been helpful to have someone to talk to and support me. Perhaps you might contact your GP and ask for a referral.

Something else that can help is finding what type of work you're comfortable with to narrow down the job search. Knowing you can handle 4-5 hours is a good start. For example, you could search for jobs that are online or jobs that are administrative so you don't have to interact much with customers. As you're at uni, you could have a look at your university jobs board, there's usually a lot of opportunities there that aren't on other sites such as Seek.

Wishing you the best,

Beeee

Thefeels
Community Member

Hi Beeee,

Thanks so much for your reply.

Ill have a look into your suggestions for job searches

ive been seeing a psych for a few years now but havent been in a while as i didnt like over the phone sessions

I hope i stop jumping from job to job and i can settle into something without having all the physical effects i have had previously. Ill keep trying, even on the hardest days where i cannot even open my eyes to get out of bed

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Many psychologists have in-person sessions now if you would prefer that, I even see my psychologist over zoom.

I'm glad to read that you're willing to keep trying, even on the hardest days. Finding this motivation is so important. I'm sure as you continue trying, each day will get a little easier. I like to focus on every small accomplishment when I'm feeling anxious. If you apply for 1 job that's great! If you apply for 2 even better! If you make it through 1 shift of work, you can easily make it through the next!

Please keep us updated with your job search : )

Beeee

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Thefeels,

I'm so sorry for your challenge.

Have you seen a psychologist to discuss about your anxiety? I believe it will help.

Don't feel useless, from your examples, I can clearly tell that you care a lot about other people, you're really a great person!

Regarding how to continue your career. Considering your current challenge, you'd better start with a simple job with less direct involvement with clients. You mentioned that you were a great worker, do you mind sharing what's your professional background, and what you're good at?

Hope everything will be better.

Mark

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Thefeels,

Thanks for sharing your story. There's already some great advice here but just wanted to let you know you're not alone!

After my first long episode of depression I wasn't sure what to do career wise either. It was all daunting and I was job skipping alot. I also doubted my capability after being out of stable employment for a while. For me, it just took some time to get settled and to visualise what I could be doing long term (much easier said then done).

It sounds like you have some of the tools in place already. I hope you can find some clinical support for any anxiety that you feel might be restricting you. But outside of that, a lot of work anxiety can come down to underestimating our ability which will improve with time. Hopefully, learning more about what you'd like to do through uni will help as well. 🙂

Wild_Westerner
Community Member

Don't have too much advice as I'm in a some what similar situation. Just would like to say that it's brave of you to keep trying even after having difficulties in those 3 jobs. I've recently quit my job but haven't started applying again, but am planning to do so tomorrow.

Keep us updated 🙂