FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

DOG, a New Years resolution;

CrashCoyote
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone,

I have made many new years resolutions over the years, I think I've resolved to lose weight for the last twenty odd! My target this year is alcohol, so I am seeing how many Days Off Grog I can have. I started on NYE day so will have completed sixteen by the end of the fifteenth. Is anyone doing this? If you want to do it with me, just post your number of days. Anything else is optional.

Kind regards, John.

75 Replies 75

Anny
Community Member

Hi!

Thanks Neil and well done day 19!! Meditation is something I believe is life changing but difficult to make a habit of. I've tried over the years a few times without success- yes being accountable should help. As you say though and I agree , if one day it doesn't happen well we are all understanding , we start again. Knowing that is helpful as it can be a negative thing to feel too much pressure , that's what I find. 

John, yes I agree . You have had such a challenging week and you  did it! Amazing ! What I want to say now is how about you do something to reward yourself , a different guilty pleasure to boost up the reserves! We only have a certain amount of willpower quota I think and yours should be hitting the red by now. I don't know - spend too much money on something ( a special gift maybe) , eat some of that banana bread you like ? You know what I mean - you need to balance all the hard work a bit or you will burn out... Just my strategy I want to pass on. 

Anny x

CrashCoyote
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Day 21, aka three weeks, draws to a close! 

Anny
Community Member

Good morning!

Day 3 of my meditation attempt! 

Look forward to your numbers today or tonight. 

Anny x

Anny
Community Member

Hello , it's the Annoyer! 

Are we on track?

John - 22 

Neil- 20

? Am I right? 

Hope you guys aren't having a beer in front of the telly whilst I am sitting here countng your DOG! 

Anny x

CrashCoyote
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I'll be starting day 23 in one hour!

Anny
Community Member

Hi!

Good on you John! 23! 

Being accountable made me sit and attemp my meditation this morning - I came really close to giving it a miss - with the excuse that " I'll do it later" - wouldn't of happened. So thanks! I am terrible at it but hopefully will master it. The app is really good - talks you through the 10 min and every day is different. It sent me an email this morning with some info , this is a section of it :-

In fact, research using brain imaging techniques suggests that structural changes in brain areas associated with regulating emotions appear after 6 hours of meditation.**Tang, Y. et al. (2010). Short‐term meditation induces white matter changes in the anterior cingulate.

So , yes day 4 - is it 66 times they say it takes to make a new habit ? I'm going to need every one of them! 

I await your numbers. Stay focussed guys. 

Anny x

Neil_1
Community Member

Today will be my 21st day in a row – which some might even say that it’s also been 3 weeks.

I feel as though another two weeks are on the cards for the time being;  but we’ll see, whether I go longer than that, but I’m thinking two more weeks and then enjoy some during the Cricket World Cup.

Neil

Anny
Community Member

Hi Neil,

Doing great! At this rate 2015 is going to have a good number next to it! I trust you haven't bought any " fresh" supplies yet? 

Anny x

CrashCoyote
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi (and bye) Anny,

Good luck in your journey.

Kind regards, John.

Hi Anny

No fear - will power is ok, but is not phenomenal.  In that, I can't be having any of that sweet nectar in the cooling device in the kitchen, otherwise, well, 'nuff said.  I'll go purchase some in a couple of weeks.

ps:  John - what do you mean, (and bye to Anny)?

Neil