FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

A girl & her dog

TheBigBlue
Community Member

Got a pup & he has turned my life around far more than I had ever imagined.

He was a thought out & planned for addition to the family. coincidentally I was pretty much in the pit of despair with my depression. No getting out of bed, no showers, no proper meals, no job, no leaving the house etc etc

Then pup arrived & I suddenly had a reason to get out of bed. Initially just to feed him & have a cuddle. Then toilet training. Then finally I decided he needed exercise so the walking started.

Fast forward to today & looking back all these things have become routine since getting the dog:

I get out of bed at a set time
I shower
i brush hair & teeth
i dress
i walk dog
we stop at cafe & I get a coffee (not a usual activity on my own but I feel more confident with the dog)
I
started interacting with people as they would ask about the dog
suddenly I recognise certain dogs when I see them & I greet the owners
i discovered a park where people tend to let their dogs off leash for a run. I have taken my dog a couple of times. While the pups play I am kind of forced to interact it’s other people. I’m uncomfortable but it’s good practise for managing my anxiety
i plan different walk routes so the dog can experience new sights/sounds/smells
having a morning walk & coffee means when I get home I am motivated to do a small amount of cleaning eg do the dishes & pre prepare dinner
i am now cooking dinner as I have done all the prep earlier in the day

It might not seem like much, but it’s a huge turnaround for me. Both my psychiatrist & psychologist were surprised & happy by these changes the dog has brought about.

I can’t help it, I love the dog & want the best for him. Last week I went to obedience class with him & my partner. Sometimes my partner brings the dog to watch my soccer games. On weekends we go out to lunch to local cafes for the simple reason that I like to take the dog along & get him out of the house. In turn I get myself out of the house & interacting socially.

Today I even felt content. I have lacked feeling any emotions for so long, it just feels good to feel something.

This dog will never know it, but he has totally changed my world. My favourite moments are when he climbs up onto my lap in the lounge & we have cuddles. I should point out, this is a giant breed so he is a very BIG boy even at just 6mths old 🤣

i actually look forward to our morning walks every day now.

Thank you doggo for bringing some sunshine to my life

17 Replies 17

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello TheBigBlue, such an inspiring post and a dog will always love you, no matter what.

Thanks heaps.

Geoff.

Oh wow how gorgeous, he's definitely going to grow up to be a big friendly giant hahah! I hear that they are very affectionate dogs so I'm sure he is giving you all the love!

How did the trial at the dog groomers go?

TheBigBlue
Community Member

**NEWSFLASH**

Did my trial shift at the groomers on Sat, thought it went pretty well. Got a message from the manager asking to meet me today (she wasn’t there on Sat).

And she offered me the job!

Last Thurs I woke up unemployed & with no prospects. An hour later I had not only called up & applied but had secured the trial run. 4 days later & I have the job! I start this Friday.

I don’t know how my world just completely flipped around in such a short time frame, but it did & things are looking up. I better make sure the dog & I enjoy our last few coffee dates together this week. I will have to adjust our routine to now be an afternoon walk after work 🤣

That’s fantastic TheBigBlue 😀 I’m so happy for you! That’s a great example of following your heart 💗 All the very best and enjoy taking care of the doggies 🐶🥰

Wow that is fantastic news, a big congratulations to you! Very happy for you and wish you luck in your new role,

I hope that you can find further fulfillment within it and soak up the company of the beautiful doggies that you will be working with and your own puppy too 😊

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear TheBigBlue,

I am so very happy for you....

You got a job which also is a passion of yours...

I wish you all the best luck in the world..

Congratulations TheBigBlue....

Kind thoughts with my care..

Grandy..

H`ello TheBigBlue, an enormous credit to you to achieve something you never expected would happen, well it has and you now have a job, a huge congratulations to you.

My best.

Geoff.

Hi TheBigBlue,

This is great to hear, I am thrilled for you! Isn't amazing how much of a difference a few days can make?

How are you going adjusting to the new routine? I'm sure the dog will enjoy exploring the world in the afternoons, maybe meeting some other new doggos on your regular route.