FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

So what is your cultural background? How does sexuality fit?

Gruffudd
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Just some curiosity on my part.

When I was a teenager in the Phillipines my sexuality wasn't acknowledged and didn't exist, except for the night out ten pin bowling when I ditched the sunrise methodist church youth group for the Manila fairy queens. oops. I would do it again though.

My father is Welsh and at times is most unhappy that I am not fulfilling what he sees as my life purpose - breeding. Shame. My brother said I am probably out of the will.

On the other hand I found France to be heaven when I passed through there...

2 Replies 2

justinok
Community Member
Typical white Anglo working class Catholic here. Parents struggled initially but they got over it. I think my deciision to stop going to church was actually harder for them to accept. They copped a lot of shit from people at church because of me, which I didn't find out till years later, and I wish I'd known, cos I would have given some of those two-faced sobs a piece of my mind. 

Paul
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

White anglo working class and grew up on a farm near many hippie communes. Didn't stop my parents from judging the alternative lifestyles. My dad and brother were the best when I came out. Brother said "so, do you want a medal" in his usual sarcastic humour which meant he was obviously cool. My dad didn't flinch and gave me a speech about feeling at home no matter what. My mum - there were several occasions where I kind of came out and she snapped or was judgemental and it really hurt. My sister took it the hardest. She cried and had nightmares (she's 7 years younger) because she was worried how society would treat me (20 years ago)

I guess I could sum up my coming out as average and my experience as a gay man to be relatively easy.

I've always been of the philosophy that once I'm out to anyone who is important to me the rest don't matter. That has helped me just blurt out nonchalantly in most cases.

I can imagine that I've had it pretty good. I've heard some horrible stories of people's parents expelling them from their lives, threatening violence and even death

People can be quite disappointing (I was going to say this a less appropriate way but chose to tone it down)

Paul