FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What do my thoughts mean?

Guest_342
Community Member

I met someone in January 2020 - he lives in Sydney and I live in Melbourne. We flew back and forth until March when the lockdowns started. Then we didn't see each other for 8 months until December. Then there was a series of border closures and lockdowns from the lead-up to Xmas and beyond - he couldn't come here for Xmas because of a Sydney outbreak and then you know what happened in 2021. It was a roller coaster ride if not knowing if our plans to catch up would fall through and, if so, how long it might take to open up the border again. It took a massive toll on me, even though we were very committed and he said he was going nowhere and wanted to keep the relationship going.

I am late 30s and want to have a family but I sensed that he wasn't fussed and he wasn't in a rush to express that he loves me, despite my saying so. I also found it hard that he didn't fly down here in April when my nephew passed away and he also didn't call me that day. When I made a spontaneous trip the night of the funeral and met me at the trains with an annoyed look on his face because he had had a tiring day of moving furniture (he had just relocated to a new apartment) and made no mention to his friends as to why I was in Sydney at short notice. He didn't really ask me how I was.

Anyway, we got over that and then he visited Melbourne in May for a long weekend. All of a sudden I got this overwhelming feeling that I wasn't attracted to him. And I broke up with him the day he left.

I can't work out what it was - I suspect the stress of the pandemic situation wore me out and the uncertainty going forward regarding when we'd see each other again was too much. Maybe my emotions shut down?

We had great conversations and could be silly together. Though there were a few things that didn't entirely match my values like his work ethic and career drive and connection to family. He contacted me recently and said he still has feelings for me.

Now I find myself thinking about him a lot. But I can't tell if it is loneliness, the desire to have a family, or whether it was a genuinely good connection that fizzled due to covid.

It was his birthday today but I didn't contact him - didn't want to pester him.

How do I sort out my thoughts?? What do they mean?

17 Replies 17

Hi Bro,

I'm sorry, I didn't see your message until now.

Those lyrics are so true!

Aw thank you so much!! I would love to have a little one some day. I'm hopeful, and your comment was lovely.

Great week 🙂

*Have a great week 🙂

Hello Guest, The Bro has made a good comment ' that he likes having you around but no more than that', you can't allow this to happen, because as soon as he's finished he will discard you.

You want someone to share your love and to want exactly what you want, no questions asked.

Take care.

Geoff.

Guest_342
Community Member

Many thanks, Geoff 🙂

He was fully committed to a relationship but didn't seem to want to express feelings or else took a long time to have feelings of love.

But I agree with you both that I need someone who will want to share the love and also someone who wants the same things.

Thanks so much for all your messages!

I wish you nothing but the best. You deserve a person who will love you and cherish you for the lovely person you are! You deserve to feel valued. Sending you positive vibes!!! Until then be so very kind to yourself! Get a new hair cut, or hair colour. Buy that new dress you've always wanted! Because you deserve to feel good about yourself!

Thank you so much, Positive Vibes. Everyone here has helped me emensely. I actually haven't found myself thinking about him much this week. I have some medical appointments, one of which requires a covid test, in the coming few weeks, so I'm lying low until then. But after that, I'm so going to hit the shops and treat myself a little bit.
Thanks again, PV. You're all so wonderful here.

Hello Guest, wanting to be in a relationship maybe for a couple of reasons, to share the rent, living expenses and basically a roof over their head, but normally you know straight away if you love someone, although it can grow on you, but being in love is indescribable, especially when you're living with them, nothing in the world matters except to be with them all the time.

When you're able to go shopping take great advantage and enjoy every moment, you deserve this.

Geoff.

Guest_342
Community Member
Thank you, Geoff 🙂