FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

No support network

Coyfish
Community Member

Hi there thanks for having me i work in hospitality 38yr old male i have found my self with very limited friends and social circle and have found that im very shy to find that again since being on my own for so long im am happy to chat but when it comes to talking about myself I find that I shut down,  I have very limited family my fathers passed years ago i have a mother in high care aged care du e to strokes its a hard world we live in i just seeing if anybdy is feeling the same hard to make a friend these days everybody's is in the clicks socially just putting it out there its ok to br alone but not ideal everyday that turns into years 

2 Replies 2

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Coyfish~

I'd like to give you a warm welcome here to the Forum . It has many friendly peple here, whether for serious talks of fun.

There was a recent report on the ABC that said up to 1/3 of Australians feel loneliness or disconnected. I'm not saying that to belittle your feelings, I'm offering it as encouragement. There may be some who are involved in social cliques, however there are many who are themselves lonely and looking for companionship

That gives you a built-in advantage, one person in three wants the same as you. I know it can be difficult to meet people and when you do difficult again to have conversations that last and lead to future meetings.

I guess intelligent practice might be the way. Working in the hospitality industry might not be ideal to meet people, depending on your job, but that does not mean you cannot be in other organizations where the sort of people you wish to meet may be prevalent. The RSPCA and animals are always a good start.

With conversation why not be open? Say straight up you have difficulty conversing and get help from  the other person. If they are worthwhile they will try.

I do hope you came back and say what you think of these suggestions

Croix

Janie223
Community Member

Hi Coyfish,

you’re definitely not alone. I can relate to much of what you’ve written. I’m so awkward when talking with people and lately have been thinking about all of the weird/bad vibes I must give off that keep people away. You’re not alone. I’m sorry I don’t really have answers but you’re not alone.