FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Social Media and family

Muddilyn
Community Member

Hello   I tell myself to stop being a sook but cannot seem to move past mixed  feelings ranging from anger,  disappointment to joy when reading family FB posts. They are all lovey dovey about my sister and my niece who have both passed away in the last two years and their immediate family seem to carry a torch all the time which I think is lovely with the soppy posts. However my issue is that they were my family too and I lost my daughter in the same time frame and we do not ever even get a mention and it hurts a lot. There is no rift or fight we were all very close  just they don't think beyond themselves that someone else may be hurting and miss the dear departed as much as they do. I share their grief but it is not returned and I wish they would not be so rude. However without being a grump or childish  I  cannot say anything to stand up and say I lost my family too you know . It really really hurts and if I left FB then would not have any family news etc as everything is on there . 

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

I know where you are coming from and once I would feel that way also. So what happened to change my mind?.

Many years ago in hot weather, a lady with 3 kids got a flat tyre. I stopped to change it. Once changed, I'm sweating and dirty, she drove off not saying "thankyou". I was outraged and it hurt for quite some time, me thinking she was rude and ungrateful.

Some time passed and on the radio the announcer asked if listeners ever felt taken for granted. So I rang in. I told my story and at the end of it he said "so Tony, did you change that tyre to get a thankyou? to feel appreciated? or did you change that tyre to help someone out?" He went on to say "did it occur to you that she was also very hot and had kids crying (they were) and simply forgot to say thankyou"? It shocked me so I had to go away and think strongly about my expectations. Those expectations would be my goal- to eliminate them and in future to look at all possibilities.

In your case it is similar. We humans by our nature think of ourselves first. Then some of us think about others at various levels of consideration. The best approach to this in an ideal world would be- well I dont expect their attention so any attention I get will be gratefully received. It is a good goal to have but hard to perfect.

I'm not religious at all but the saying goes "forgive them for they not know what they do". It's so correct because they are imperfect individuals that will say things and not think of the consequences other have when they say it. 

There is one bit of advice I also have- ask questions. eg if one person says on social media comments that you find are not considerate to you, send them a nice message with a question. The question at the end might read "so you mentioned on FB that you miss her and she passed 2 years ago, how long do you think the grief will last"? It's an open question that isnt offensive, it is designed to open the topic up. The purpose is to subtly let them know that you are also grieving and they have the opportunity to reach out.

If they dont reach out then they are not really friends, comforting relatives and you can drift away knowing you tried. Then I'd hit the "unfollow" button FB has so you dont see their posts but leave them as "friends" which wont cause upset. Seek out people that love you and care for you and that isnt always relatives.

TonyWK 

Thank you for your input, I very much appreciate you taking the time. I have taken what I need from it and have written what I think is a nice message with a gently reminder that I too grieve for the same departed. To date there has been nothing but silence so time will tell.