FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My partner doesn't have long to live

Homer1071
Community Member
My partner has lung and heart disease,has been given days if not months to live we have a 23 year old son together and I have so many emotions going through my head I have angry outbursts at people and frustration is peaking off the chart
41 Replies 41

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Homer,

It's good to hear from you again.

Being frustrated & angry are easily understood. You are in a particularly stressful situation, which is 24 hrs a day, which ends in only one way, & you can't stop that happening. You are going to have so many emotional moments, sometimes brief & intense, when it will be nigh on impossible to not express in some way or other. You are feeling about what is happening, but because you can't prevent her suffering, her death, your loss, your son's loss, nothing, of-course you are frustrated & angrey . What is happening is painful, & it hurts like hell, in every way imaginable, but you don't have to imagine, like I do. You are living this experience.

& no matter what I say, you are there with her & your son, not me. How could you not feel at least helpless, alone & afraid, too? & you've said angry & frustrated. It's surely overwhelming your capacity to cope.

Do you think you could catch yourself beginning to express those emotions you would rather not take out on your wife & son? If so, could you all agree on a sign, a 'time out' sign, something like crossing your wrists in front of your neck, as a signal, you need 'time out', either a few minutes, or an hour,, whatever to calm yourself again? You could all use this, I think.

Can someone come in to look after your wife, while you & your son have some time away from being carers? Everyone needs a break from caring for someone. This is one 'self-care' thing, which is important to do.

I will continue to think of you, & your family,

mmMekitty

Hi Homer1071,

Im sorry you have been feeling frustrated and angry I understand it would be difficult.

Would you consider having a chat to your gp about the way you have been feeling?

Unfortunately I don't have a gp I don't feel comfortable talking with them about issues like this I guess it comes down to my anxiety,however I do feel comfortable talking with you guys

Hi Homer,

We are always here to chat to you 😊

Im glad you feel comfortable with us.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Homer,

We'll continue to be here for you, whatever is on your mind.

I still think it would be worth while to see about getting some help where you are, in your home, so you & your son aren't the only people caring for your wife. Have you given any thought to this?

Warmest regards with virtual hugs,

mmMekitty

We have looked into further care but they said because my partner is still having regular hospital appointments Thier services might be inconvenient for us

Homer1071
Community Member

I don't understand the medical system they say they are here to help but it comes with limitations.I am so worried about my partner she isn't sleeping much because she is worried she won't wake up it doesn't help that her condition has worsened slightly

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm so sorry, Homer. I must admit I don't understand the health system. I am surprised the hospital staff themselves aren't helping you go get more home support. It must be so disappointing to be told they can't while your partner is continuing to have hospital appointments, because 'their services would be inconvenient'! That response sounds really awful.

I wish I could offer more than my dumbfounded disappointment.

I can only hope someone reading this can offer something more practical.

mmMekitty

Hi Homer1071,

Im so sorry to hear this…… can you ask at the hospital or at your gp if they have a councillor available that you could have a appointment with to help you and your wife with what you are currently going through?

I regret that I am going to have to stop posting,my partner doesn't feel comfortable with me posting on such an open forum and I need to respect her wishes.It is going to be a bit harder for me to vent my problems but hopefully I can find another way of doing that