FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

My estranged daughter turns 21 today

Jstar49
Community Member

Hi everyone, I'm completely new here so Hello and thanks for being here.

It's my eldest daughter's 21st birthday today and I'm feeling pretty emotional about it. She hasn't spoken to me in 4 years, and refuses to have any contact with me, my husband or our 10 yr old daughter. I was a single mum with her, stayed around her dad's town in order for her to have a relationship with him but finally left when she was 8, to return up north and be closer to family. That's a whole other story.

She was impacted by my PND, for sure, and things have always been intense between us. Chaotic too. Interesting, but not exactly stable. My marriage when she was 10 was the start of some kind of normal, and now I've never been so content or mentally/emotionally stable, even tho I still need to take care of myself, not get overwhelmed, and watch myself re: taking on others opinions/judgements.

I worry about her but I tell myself maybe it's for the best, maybe she just needs time and space to discover who she is, and learn to forgive the mistakes of the past and accept herself and myself for who we are.

It's hard tho. Today I just would love to see her, see her smile at me, hug her and tell her how proud of her I am. And hear whatever she has to say.

Anyhow, thanks for listening. I know there's others out there with similar stories. It seems like the world just needs a course in family harmony! It's so sad for the kids that get caught up in it.

Cheers,

Jstar

312 Replies 312

Hi J

Before my reply, I do have difficulty reading letters in place of words, still trying to figure out what Fo0 means lol.

I'm sad for you as many of us have been in this situation. None of us is perfect and we make errors, however in some disputes, the errors we make don't reflect the severity of the punishment.

Like you my other daughter is a gem. My youngest, heavily influenced by her narcissistic mother tried treating me the same as her mother treated me. From 14yo when she rang me and for no reason at all said "I don't want to see you anymore. At 16yo I paid $15,000 over and above child support for her realignment and teeth...yet she continued on/off relationship. Like her mother, silence was her weapon of choice along with contempt.

So, easter 2 years ago again she'd text and all was forgiven again. Goood contact for 10 days then- yep, silence. Contact only possible via Facebook as she had the means to block me. This was the last straw, at 27yo she'd hurt me for the last time. I made a decision.

My actions was to block her, this was to not have to get unexpected contact that raised my anxiety. We moved house, new address not forwarded (her choice to not provide her phone nor address to me.

My last decision- if she tracks me down and knocks, I'll invite her in, I'll be very firm and direct, my love is shattered, but I will invite her in- why? For my benefit! I'd cope better than if I turned her away.

Please Google

Beyondblue topic fortress of survival

Also part 2 and 3

Take care...of yourself.

TonyWK

Here is a poem I wrote to my estranged daughter when she was 15yo.

IF i COULD NOT PAY

I used to tell my youngest one

that if she chose I not be gone

that if she needed me in USA

I'd start to swim if I could not pay.

Toy soldiers marched across the floor

fairies carried out their chores

Barbies combed and shaped their hair

little girl asleep so she not aware

And then the years came and went

and all my cash on support was spent

then thousands passed through my fingers bare

for her dentistry but I did not care

As a dad with love dripping from his cheeks

"I'm here for you - whenever you seek"

then she came and made me smile

that wait was worth my while

Toy soldier rusty no longer marched

Barbies hair old and somewhat parched

young woman now lies in bed awake

echoes of words bad so she hesitates

Pride remains and its does so strong

Dignity chained where it did belong

Still if she needed me in the US of A

I'd start swimming ....if I could not pay...

TonyWK

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Jstar I can feel your pain not getting an invite to your daughter's wedding.I didn't get invited to one of mine after she had asked me to walk her down the aisle.Then she never invited me to the wedding and it hurt so bad and still does 5 years later.I just want you to know I am listening to you and know some of the pain you are going through.
Take care,
Mark.

golden82
Community Member

Hi Jstar,

You are brave for sharing and expressing your pain so well. It is totally justified pain too. It is good you have support here from the other members. And unfortunately as you can see in the replies, this sort of cruelty goes on. I was not even told of my only siblings wedding (SIL jealousy issues) - and I thought we were close. Everyone else included - family and friends. I found out by accident some time later. Entire family lied to me and shut me out (and still do, years later) - parallel universes. It was and still is painful. Also due to all the secrets and lies and exclusion seem to have made it worse for me. And these go on with children/nephew etc I not told about or know about or allowed to have anything to do with. I guess I just want you to know, you are not alone. And it is not your fault or a reflection of you. And as others, I am also reading along and listening if you need. I do hope the situation changes for you and you are invited. But if not, try to focus on you and your qualities - I am trying to do this ie I know I would never do that to another person. But not everyone is like us - unfortunately. Stay strong. Best wishes.

Matchy69
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi Jstar I am just seeing how you are and I am thinking of you.

Jstar49
Community Member

Wow,

I am sitting here with tears dripping down my cheeks at the outpouring of love and support here- thankyou all so much.

Tony, I apologies for my shorthand- FoO stands for Family of Origin- how I distinguish between my own small family-hubby, no.2 child and me- and my other family- mum+dad, 3 siblings. All of us affected by those dynamics which we grew up with.

I can relate to so much of what you are all saying - especially Tony when you said "None of us is perfect and we make errors, however in some disputes, the errors we make don't reflect the severity of the punishment." Tony that situation with your daughter sounds almost unbearable. I'm so sorry that she takes your love and care for granted. How heartbreaking as a parent! And Mark- wow. She really missed out didn't she! And still is I guess. How sad that she didn't let her special day be one of forgiveness and new beginnings.

It seems like I have been practicing endless forgiveness and 'rising above' and yet what I get in return is just, as golden82 says- cruelty. It does feel so cruel, and you have said I would never treat anyone this way. Goldie I can almost feel how awful that situation of being excluded from your sibs wedding- and how immature to lie about it and have you find out by accident! One of the things I find hardest to understand and forgive is when ppl are too cowardly to be upfront and honest in difficult situations. It often seems like this is accepted behaviour in some circles. One of the things I love about my partner is his honesty. He is definitely my safe space in all this mess.

I was hoping that this yr was a new beginning. And then at family lunch today it emerges that my sister has blocked me on her phone again-despite there being no event, and despite her having contacted me this year in an emergency to do with my mum. And all I can think is- thank GOD (sorry Lord) that Christmas is over for one whole year. And I don't have to look at her face snarling at me while I try to make pleasant conversation over Christmas lunch.

I know I can shrug this off too. Thank you all for your support, Em, Tony, Goldie, quirky, and Mark. and anyone reading these words and maybe agonising over their own situation. I'm so grateful for this space here to share and be real. Thankyou for not automatically assuming....anything I guess. Except I read unconditional regard and acceptance in your words, and that helps, a lot.

Love

J*

Jstar49
Community Member

Thanks Mark,

I'm doing much better thankyou. Today was ok, despite my sister's hostility. I was able to practice some techniques I've been using to remain in balance, emotionally, and keep it until I got home.

More later tho,

thanks again for your care,

J*

ecomama
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey J*, we're here for you any time of the day or night.

I read the "Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)" and the "Extra Sensitive Person (ESP)" stuff you were talking about on another thread....

BUT sometimes we just have to look around us and figure out if we're not just surrounded by aholes.

For some unknown reason when we are compassionate, kind souls, those aholes just think they can tread all over us. And given the chance they DO!

We can't change who they are, nor can we change how they treat us.

When their treatment is so brutal and cruel, it's normal for us to feel extremely hurt, even betrayed and damaged by their words and actions.

Forgiveness is one thing.
But forgiving doesn't mean we have to go back into the fire time and time again.

It's exhausting and mind effing being in relationships with toxic people.

I like the notion of "Low Contact" but have rarely seen it play out successfully long term.
Toxic people won't respect boundaries IME.
Perhaps LC can give ppl TIME to establish their lives without these ppl in their lives as in full contact.

No Contact is extremely difficult when it's sudden most especially (in my case with my mother when police were called).
I think NC is sad for probably anyone who has to make this decision. It was for me. Police made the decision for me saying they wouldn't help me again if I allowed her in my home etc.

Maintaining LC or NC is very stressful also. Even after decades I'm being contacted by my mother. 99% of anything I throw in the bin. Of the 1% of letters I open, it's full of demands and accusations.
This just cements my decision tbh.

Toxic ppl seem to have endless amounts of energy for their toxicity!

So we're stuck with a range of really sucky options. We may not like the consequences of ANY option. But they're options still the same.

Some ppl are so screwed up we have NO options but NC.

Love EMxxxx

Jstar49
Community Member

Hey em,

It's others who are NC with me- does that say something about me??

Love

J*

Quite often I've found that if several people have NC with me it's usually that they've corroborated with each other, demonized and manipulated the situation.

A good example is in-laws. Often you might not get along with one, then the gang mentality creeps in.

Have faith in yourself.

TonyWK